Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)
Thread poster: ibz
Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Let's distinguish between AI and chatbots once and for all Nov 4, 2023

This is key.
DeepL is an AI-powered interactive MT tool, it is not a chat bot, and it generally translates quite better than a chat bot. It also allows you to choose between various alternatives for each term and the whole sentence structure.
An AI chat bot is NOT primarily designed for translation and is therefore generally not the best at translating.
So, which of the two serves translators better when it comes to translation (provided they want to use MT)? DeepL!

Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble
Maria Rosa Fontana
ibz
Philip Lees
Jennifer Levey

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No answer to critical questions Nov 6, 2023

Unfortunately you choose not to answer any critical questions, Henry, neither on the inclusive aka concise aka restrictive threads nor here.
Apologies for referring to your post on the restrictive thread here but it does affect this thread as well and I (as well as many others) am no longer allowed to contribute there, making these "concise" threads less of a discussion and more of a moderator's blog.

[Quote Henry to Aurélien's post]:
My principal difference with your p
... See more
Unfortunately you choose not to answer any critical questions, Henry, neither on the inclusive aka concise aka restrictive threads nor here.
Apologies for referring to your post on the restrictive thread here but it does affect this thread as well and I (as well as many others) am no longer allowed to contribute there, making these "concise" threads less of a discussion and more of a moderator's blog.

[Quote Henry to Aurélien's post]:
My principal difference with your position would be that you seem to be using the point that ChatGPT is not useful in KudoZ (which may well be) to argue that ChatGPT is not "a useful translation tool", full stop. That doesn't necessarily follow, and certainly there are many survey respondents reporting the opposite. [Unquote]

You keep saying that "many survey respondents" do find ChatGPT useful as a translator tool but as far as I can see, no one actually said so here, nor in the other thread. Also, you're referring to the "survey", without sharing any details about these surveys or polls (Number of participants? Questions? Standards? See also Tom's post!).

Sharing our opinion with you obviously is worthless as you have no intention of questioning your own point of view - for whatever reason that may be.

[Edited at 2023-11-06 14:25 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
Kay Denney
Metin Demirel
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Maria Rosa Fontana

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:39
Greek to English
Action not words Nov 6, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:

On the other hand, you are pretty much completely wrong in your presumptions about ProZ, and about me.

Henry, I think Metin – like me and I'm sure other regular contributors here – is basing his inferences (not presumptions) on what you do, not what you say.

As long as there is a discrepancy between the two, as long as you keep on saying one thing and doing another, then these "misunderstandings" are likely to continue.

ibz
Barbara Carrara
Metin Demirel
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Maria Rosa Fontana
sindy cremer

Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
French to English
Vote in favour of banning this ChatGarbageNonsense from anywhere in Proz.com Dec 26, 2023

Zea_Mays
ibz
Barbara Carrara
Maria Rosa Fontana
Daryo
Karol Kawczyński
Matthieu Ledoré

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still waiting Feb 21

Henry Dotterer wrote:

I let Ice know that I plan to get a few team members together to look at how we could enable askers to tap AI as a reference via the KudoZ comments section, rather than involving it as a KudoZ "player", as though it were a human professional, which it obviously is not. Or maybe we'll look to provide access to it as a reference tool for interested answerers. (I imagine my writing that will ruffle a few feathers, but so be it.) In any case, I view it as our job as a company that serves freelancers to give willing professionals convenient access to this powerful new tool that is AI. Just like we provided access to terms search in the past. But I have no special reason to anthropomorphize AI. I guess I was somehow missing that element of this before speaking with Becca and Ice.

To be clear, it will probably be a few weeks before anything changes. Thanks everyone for your participation to this point.

This was written at the beginning of November. A couple of weeks have passed and ChatGPT is still on KudoZ, still has a profile. So where are the changes that you promised?

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Jennifer Levey
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Alison MacG
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Poor communication (on a site for communication professionals) Mar 6

I spoke to Henry last year about this issue and he said he now understood people's concerns and would look into making some changes.

No changes have been made, which is his choice, but I do think we are owed an explanation.

I saw the deleted post above and it was entirely reasonable. Rather than staff imposing unnecessary censorship and/or giving us the cold shoulder, why not answer our questions here and explain your position in detail?

That said, at the
... See more
I spoke to Henry last year about this issue and he said he now understood people's concerns and would look into making some changes.

No changes have been made, which is his choice, but I do think we are owed an explanation.

I saw the deleted post above and it was entirely reasonable. Rather than staff imposing unnecessary censorship and/or giving us the cold shoulder, why not answer our questions here and explain your position in detail?

That said, at the time of writing, there is a big banner advert above for the "ProZ AI Expo", which maybe answers most of them.
Collapse

ibz
Zea_Mays
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Barbara Carrara
Michele Fauble

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update re. removing ChatGPT Mar 6

Update re. removing ChatGPT

I was told by ProZ support last week:

[quote]
I am afraid as I have indicated, in case of any changes
regarding the new ChatGPT service all users be notified. For
the time being, there was no intention to make changes, and
therefore new announcements were not made. [unquote]

I asked staff to inform the followers of this thread about
this decision as it clearly contradicts what Henry announced
at the beginning of November. This thread has more than
28,000 views up to now and the proposal to remove ChatGPT
from KudoZ has been supported by an overwhelming majority.
Everyone contributing to this discussion deserves to get an
answer. Unfortunately ProZ is not willing to give this information
and that's why I post it here. So much for "listening to the
community".

[Edited]

Philip Lees
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Becca Resnik
Barbara Carrara

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
The option to generate AI answers has been removed from KudoZ Mar 11

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that the option to post KudoZ questions while having an answer generated by AI has been disabled.

In evaluating different possibilities to enable KudoZ askers and other participants to use AI as a reference when asking and answering KudoZ questions, I have collected some related data that I thought worth sharing here:

• 11,595 KudoZ questions have been posted since the integration of ChatGPT was announced ... See more
  • Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that the option to post KudoZ questions while having an answer generated by AI has been disabled.

In evaluating different possibilities to enable KudoZ askers and other participants to use AI as a reference when asking and answering KudoZ questions, I have collected some related data that I thought worth sharing here:

• 11,595 KudoZ questions have been posted since the integration of ChatGPT was announced (August 16th, 2023), in 244 of these questions the asker chose to generate an AI answer too (2% of total questions posted in this period).
  • Among these askers, there are 43 paying members.
  • 25 AI-generated answers were selected as the most helpful (in many of these questions it was the only answer).
  • Total points granted to the AI: 81
  • Top language pairs in which the answer proposed by ChatGPT was selected as the most helpful: English to Portuguese, English to Chinese, Arabic to English, English to Persian (Farsi) and German to Portuguese
  • Top general fields in which the answer proposed by ChatGPT was selected as the most helpful: Art/Literary, Bus/Financial, Medical, Law/Patents and Social Sciences.

Feel free to comment on the data as posted above. As always, productive feedback will be much appreciated.

Lucia ▲ Collapse

• Becca Resnik
    Zea_Mays
    Jennifer Levey
    Matthieu Ledoré
    expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »