Recommended tools for machine translation tools
Thread poster: sneha15
sneha15
sneha15
Local time: 20:37
Jan 31, 2022

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on good-quality machine translation tool specifically for Japanese>English pair.

I have been using the licensed version of ATLAS (from Fujitsu), but am now looking for another tool that is a notch better in terms of quality of translation and flexibility of handling various file formats.

Would appreciate any/all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Czech
Try QTranlate or OPUS-CAT MT for free Jan 31, 2022

sneha15 wrote:
handling various file formats.

Handling with various formats is a task for CAT. I use OmegaT.

A. QTranslate = try MT services, the best for you can subscribe

https://quest-app.appspot.com/

The following translation services are supported:

Babylon
Baidu
DeepL
Google
Microsoft
Papago
Promt
Yandex
youdao

A. OPUS-CAT MT Engine v.1.0.4 = free

Japanese - English opus-2019-12-18 =free
jap - English opus+bt-2020-05-23 = free
jao - English opus-2020-01-09 = free

Milan

Stepan Konev
expressisverbis
sneha15

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:07
English to Russian
Minor addition Jan 31, 2022

DeepL seems to be a better option for Ja>En. You can use it with QTranslate.
However, if you choose to use Yandex, you need to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\QTranslate\Services\Yandex, open Service.js with Notepad and substitute http for https.

expressisverbis
sneha15

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Czech
Result of very short testing Jan 31, 2022

Milan Condak wrote:

DeepL

Japanese - English opus-2019-12-18 =free

ProZ Forum 2018-03-10

※読む人が勘違いしづらいように文章の書き方と順番を少し変えました(3/11)。

イギリスの会社から以下のような文面のメールが届いているのを、日本時間で10日の朝方に見つけました。
文面を読む限り、内容は結構まともなんですが、「なんかおかしいなぁ」と感じて調べたら悪名高き翻訳会社でした。
なんでも、仕事を打診→翻訳者への不払い→不払いが山と積もる→計画倒産→社名を変えて新規開業
の繰り返しだそうで、プロジェクトマネージャーの名前もメールアドレスも毎回(微妙に)変わるとのこと。

A. QTranslate DeepL:

I changed the writing style and the order of the sentences a little to make it harder for readers to misunderstand (3/11).

I found an email from a company in the UK with the following text in the morning of the 10th in Japan time.
As far as I could tell from the text, the content was pretty decent, but I felt that there was something wrong with it, so I looked it up and found that it was a notorious translation company.
Whatever it was, they approached me for a job -> non-payment to the translator -> non-payment piled up -> planned bankruptcy -> changed the company name and started a new business
and that the project manager's name and email address changes (slightly) each time.

B. OPUS-MT Japanese 2019-12-18

I've changed the way and the order of the text to make it difficult for readers to make mistakes.

I found the following letter e-mail from an English company in the morning of the 10th in Japanese time.
As far as I could read the sentence, the content was quite plain, but I asked, "What's wrong with you?" and it was a infamous translation company.
Whatever you do, work will be done and the payments to the translator will be piled up. - Change the name of the project and start a new business.
It's said that every time the project manager's name and address change.
==
Language "jap" is not Japanese language.

Milan

sneha15

sneha15
sneha15
Local time: 20:37
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for recommendations Jul 7, 2022

Thank you all for your recommendations. Companies are looking for data confidentiality and any machine translation tool which stores data on Cloud is a big risk. We as translators would still need tools which are a mix of both, Cloud based and offline tools.

Cecilia Yalangozian
Cecilia Yalangozian
Argentina
Local time: 12:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
MT API list Dec 26, 2022

Hey,

You can check out a list of APIs that support Japanese at Machine Translate.

https://machinetranslate.org/japanese

If you click on an any of them, you will also see the customization options for each API.

I understand what you mean about confidentiality. Perhaps calling the translation from a desktop tool is the mix you mention? Anyway, at the
... See more
Hey,

You can check out a list of APIs that support Japanese at Machine Translate.

https://machinetranslate.org/japanese

If you click on an any of them, you will also see the customization options for each API.

I understand what you mean about confidentiality. Perhaps calling the translation from a desktop tool is the mix you mention? Anyway, at the particular page I shared, only API-available engines are listed.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nice Dec 27, 2022

Milan Condak wrote:

A. QTranslate = try MT services, the best for you can subscribe

Nice app!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommended tools for machine translation tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »