Localization Vs Translation
Thread poster: Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
Local time: 16:48
English
+ ...
Sep 20, 2007

I would like to know what is the precise difference between localization and translation ?

Can someone give me there opinions and views.

Regards,
Sandeep

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I think... Sep 20, 2007

I think the difference is in things like the word "english" to translate it would mean that it becomes "engels" in my case, to localize it would mean it becomes "nederlands", depending of course on the text. Other examples are currencies, distances or even names.

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:48
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Indeed Sep 20, 2007

Localization assumes adapting the text to local standards and local market and usually goes far beyond simple translation, e.g. adapting units of measurement, wordplay and proverbs and even changing overall style of the text.

Rarely "localization" equals "software localization" (it was like that in a questionaire I recently completed).

Anyway, these concepts overlap pretty much and noone can tell for sure, what is the difference.

+localization term actually
... See more
Localization assumes adapting the text to local standards and local market and usually goes far beyond simple translation, e.g. adapting units of measurement, wordplay and proverbs and even changing overall style of the text.

Rarely "localization" equals "software localization" (it was like that in a questionaire I recently completed).

Anyway, these concepts overlap pretty much and noone can tell for sure, what is the difference.

+localization term actually came from marketing

[Edited at 2007-09-20 14:53]
Collapse

Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you be a bit more clear... Sep 20, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

I think the difference is in things like the word "english" to translate it would mean that it becomes "engels" in my case, to localize it would mean it becomes "nederlands", depending of course on the text. Other examples are currencies, distances or even names.

Hi Wilmer,
Thanks for the reply...well i was not clear what u meant by 'engels' in translating 'english' and 'nederlands' while localizing...What are 'engels' and 'nederlands'. I mean in which context you meant both terms. hope i am clear to u.

Regards,
Sandeep

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry Sep 20, 2007

Sandeep Kumar Talla wrote:

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Hi Wilmer,
Thanks for the reply...well i was not clear what u meant by 'engels' in translating 'english' and 'nederlands' while localizing...What are 'engels' and 'nederlands'. I mean in which context you meant both terms. hope i am clear to u.

Regards,
Sandeep

Sorry for being unclear. In your situation you translate "English" with "Englisch" in German I suppose, but localize it to "Deutsch". Does that help? So when translating you don;t really think of the target culture/audience, only the language, if you localize it you try to translate the text but as a person from that language/culture would have written it. But as Vadim has already said, these concepts overlap, only computers translate just the words.

[Edited at 2007-09-20 15:29]

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:48
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aspects of localisation Sep 20, 2007

Localisation is much wider than translation, and many other factors come into play. Take a simple example - a date like 1/2/2007. Is that 1st February or 2nd January?

A few weeks ago, I answered a similar query, though specifically about US and UK English. To avoid duplication, see my contribution (and other useful contributions) at :
http://www.proz.com/post/623747#623747

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:48
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Another useful definition Sep 22, 2007

This is from the FAQs at solocal.de.

"What does “localization” in fact mean? – Is is simply just another word for translation?

Software localization covers much more than just the simple translation of the respective user interface. “Localization” rather covers the entire adaptation and translation of software, taking into account the respective target audience and overcoming po
... See more
This is from the FAQs at solocal.de.

"What does “localization” in fact mean? – Is is simply just another word for translation?

Software localization covers much more than just the simple translation of the respective user interface. “Localization” rather covers the entire adaptation and translation of software, taking into account the respective target audience and overcoming possible cultural barriers. This includes the adaptation of country-specific information such as times, dates or character conventions, currencies, methods of address, color schemes and symbols etc. Apart from that, the localization of software involves diverse technical aspects. The user interface must be checked for functionality (e.g. functioning key commands, the full visibility of text in dialog boxes and linguistic consistency, whilst the consistency between the individual components of a product (user interface, documentation, online help) has to be ensured."

As they say on their references page, it also embraces things like online content and online help files. It's not just 'software' in the sense of program applications.

HTH
Chris

[Edited at 2007-09-22 12:28]

[Edited at 2007-09-22 12:36]
Collapse

Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 27, 2007

Thanks for all your views and opinions.

Rafał Kwiatkowski
Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
A bit more confusion :) Dec 9, 2007

besides the localization (L10n)
there are also such things like:
- internationalization (I18n)
- globalization (G10n or G18n)

Check the wiki to find out what are these.

Kindest Regards,
Rafal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization Vs Translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »