How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:39
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2013

How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)? And which is best to use of SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Alchemy Catalyst 8.0 (I have license for both)?

I have the original CD-ROMs all in Chinese language which I want to localize into English.

So I wonder what the procedure would be. Something like this?:
1. I extract the folders and files, or copy and paste to my harddisk. However, there are a lot of different files, like t
... See more
How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)? And which is best to use of SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Alchemy Catalyst 8.0 (I have license for both)?

I have the original CD-ROMs all in Chinese language which I want to localize into English.

So I wonder what the procedure would be. Something like this?:
1. I extract the folders and files, or copy and paste to my harddisk. However, there are a lot of different files, like these on CD-ROM no. 1:
.rar (named Data1 and Data2)
data1.hdr
ikernel.ex_
layout.bin
setup.exe
setup.ini
setup.inx
autorun.exe
autorun.inf
Readme.txt

In addition, in one folder, there are a lot of .gvd files, but these are dictionaries used by the application so I shouldn't need to deal with these when localizing, should I?

And these files on CD-ROM no. 2:
HASPUserSetup.exe
data1.rar
data2.rar
data1.hdr
ikernel.ex_
layout.bin
Setup.exe
Setup.ini
setup.inx
autorun.exe
autorun.inf

2. Create a localization project in my CAT-tool SDL Trados Studio 2011 or Alchemy Catalyst 8.0

3. Translate everything in my CAT-tool.

4. When finished translating everything from Chinese to English I save the target files in my CAT-tool.

5. Finally, I burn these translated target files onto a new CD-ROM which I label with an English name, and finalize it.

The software on these two CD-ROMs are for Windows.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I localize the files on two CD-ROMs (from the same manufacturer of two hardwares)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »