Silvia Vallejo
Silvia Vallejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 7, 2010

Hi all,

I have to make a translation estimate that involves translation of web content exported to Excel. I had no problem in converting the xls files for word-counting & translation in Tageditor. However, the following issues have arisen:

1. Several unwanted carriage returns in paragraphs caused by tags that Tageditor doesn't seem to be able to handle. Here is a sample of the problem:

Le XXXXXX permet d'utiliser une zone mémoire du déport XXXX pour parta
... See more
Hi all,

I have to make a translation estimate that involves translation of web content exported to Excel. I had no problem in converting the xls files for word-counting & translation in Tageditor. However, the following issues have arisen:

1. Several unwanted carriage returns in paragraphs caused by tags that Tageditor doesn't seem to be able to handle. Here is a sample of the problem:

Le XXXXXX permet d'utiliser une zone mémoire du déport XXXX pour partager des fichiers entre la machine locale et la machine br/
déportée. L'accés à votre serveur distant se fait par IP avec un client VNC ou en tapant l'adresse IP du XXXXXXXX dans votre browser web. br/
Vous pouvez aussi accéder à votre serveur distant par une ligne téléphonique en accés Dialup. OSD (On Screen Display) pour faciliter la br/
configuration. br/

Note: I removed the brackets (< >) so that the tags would not resolve in the post.

I guess I can get rid of these manually but if anyone can suggest an automated method for removing them I would be most thankful.

2. The resulting ttx files also show unwanted html tags like such as "li" "/li", "/ul"), that I would like to have protected. Example:

Vous pouvez aussi accéder à votre serveur distant par une ligne téléphonique en accés Dialup. br/
br / br/
OSD (On Screen Display) pour faciliter la configuration
ul br/
li/ Sécurité accrue avec cryptage AES 128 bit et RSA 2048 bit public key authentication avec 16 profils utilisateurs/li br/
li>Peut être monté en rack /li> br/>

I have tried to tweak the Tag Settings in the HTML4.ini file to no avail. The li, h1, h2, ul, br and other tags still show in Tageditor as translatable items. If it's of any information, the header of the ttx files in a text editor is:

?xml version='1.0'?>
TRADOStag Version="2.0">

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your attention,

Silvia
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Use Word instead Nov 7, 2010

I've worked with such files in Tag Editor and they are a pain. You can protect tags with the Snippet Mark-up Plug in in Tag Editor, but it's very complicated and while translating, the tags get corrupt in various ways (e.g. an internal tag can turn into an external one within a segment, or tags get merged and so on). I've just had a job where all such tags simply disappeared in the target XLS file.

I think it would be easier to just paste the content into rtf files and add Trados st
... See more
I've worked with such files in Tag Editor and they are a pain. You can protect tags with the Snippet Mark-up Plug in in Tag Editor, but it's very complicated and while translating, the tags get corrupt in various ways (e.g. an internal tag can turn into an external one within a segment, or tags get merged and so on). I've just had a job where all such tags simply disappeared in the target XLS file.

I think it would be easier to just paste the content into rtf files and add Trados styles to tags there using e.g. Rainbow from Okapi Tools or manually. You can also get rid of the line breaks easily in Word - they are soft line breaks, or ^l. After the files are translated and cleaned up, you can simply paste the content back to the XLS files.
Collapse

Silvia Vallejo
Silvia Vallejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 7, 2010

Thanks a lot for your advice Adam.

I'll go for the rtf file option.

All the best,

Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with tags in Excel > Tageditor conversion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »