Thread poster: Stilgar
Stilgar
Stilgar
Canada
Local time: 16:05
English to French
Jul 31, 2010

Hello,

This summer I took a class that was an introduction to CAT tools (which was mostly about Trados, really) and the teacher did a (very) short demonstration of Passolo. I thought it was simply brilliant and although it was just a few minutes long, I fell in love! I knew that software translation is definitely something I'd like to add to my other translation skills.

Sometime last year, a client asked me to translate their internal software used as a database and to
... See more
Hello,

This summer I took a class that was an introduction to CAT tools (which was mostly about Trados, really) and the teacher did a (very) short demonstration of Passolo. I thought it was simply brilliant and although it was just a few minutes long, I fell in love! I knew that software translation is definitely something I'd like to add to my other translation skills.

Sometime last year, a client asked me to translate their internal software used as a database and to manage their stocks, orders, inventory, etc. They printed pages upon pages of Excel-generated lists of words. I had no screenshots, no context, nothing. Total nightmare. The project was never finalized (at least not with me). When I took that summer class, I obviously knew that Passolo should have been the solution all along. But that I know about Passolo, I'd like to contact them again to see whether they still need me; I'm willing to do a little presentation of my own.

The thing is, although I own Passolo (I have the 2007 and 2009 freelance version suites of Trados), I need to practice. Even if that client doesn't need me anymore, I would really like to develop good skills with Passolo. I tried little programs that I have, but I never seem to have access to all the sections to translate them. Why is that? Is it because of some sort of protection? If some of them are protected, why do I sometimes see some strings I can translate but not all of them?

Lastly, do you guys know of a list of "unprotected"/"open" software that I could practice with?

Many thanks in advance!

Dany
Collapse

celtanc
celtanc
English
Why strings might not be shown in Passolo Aug 1, 2010

Hi Dany,

there are some reasons why strings are not shown in Passolo:

• hard coded strings, i.e. text that is in the source code and not prepared for translation. This can only be corrected by the developers of the program.

• strings that come from Windows. For example system error messages or "Cancel", "Help", etc in standard message boxes

• strings that come from another resource. For this you have to ask the developers which file you n... See more
Hi Dany,

there are some reasons why strings are not shown in Passolo:

• hard coded strings, i.e. text that is in the source code and not prepared for translation. This can only be corrected by the developers of the program.

• strings that come from Windows. For example system error messages or "Cancel", "Help", etc in standard message boxes

• strings that come from another resource. For this you have to ask the developers which file you need to add to the Passolo project

And:
The Essential version of Passolo translates Win32 and .NET files. If you need to translate other formats like Delphi, you could try the Demo version of Passolo.
Collapse

How about cheking out Sisulizer 2010 (307)... Aug 1, 2010

...I have tried both SDL Passolo 2009 and Sisulizer 2010 and, in my opinion, the latter is a far cry from the first.

It is very intuitive and easier to use. After a couple of hours reading the Guidebook and checking up its functionalities, you are ready to go!

It comes with samples for you to practice your localization skill using the program.

I sincerely think that it is worth giving it a try. You find it
... See more
...I have tried both SDL Passolo 2009 and Sisulizer 2010 and, in my opinion, the latter is a far cry from the first.

It is very intuitive and easier to use. After a couple of hours reading the Guidebook and checking up its functionalities, you are ready to go!

It comes with samples for you to practice your localization skill using the program.

I sincerely think that it is worth giving it a try. You find it here: http://www.sisulizer.com/

About your questions about "protected" strings, our colleague Celtanc explained it right.

Cheers,

Raphael G Correia

[Edited at 2010-08-01 17:08 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:05
English to Czech
+ ...
A few thoughts Aug 1, 2010

Hello Dany,
I like Passolo too, but I like RC WinTrans even much better. And yes, there are many other localization tools out there you might consider, although why pay for anything else when you already have a copy of Passolo shipped with Trados...

As for practising, I started a few years ago by localizing Trados itself into Czech. (SDL guys, please skip this, I know this was not exactly in line with the EULA.<
... See more
Hello Dany,
I like Passolo too, but I like RC WinTrans even much better. And yes, there are many other localization tools out there you might consider, although why pay for anything else when you already have a copy of Passolo shipped with Trados...

As for practising, I started a few years ago by localizing Trados itself into Czech. (SDL guys, please skip this, I know this was not exactly in line with the EULA.) Especially running thorough QA checks at the end will reveal a number of mistakes you are very likely to make in your first (mock) "project", such as e.g. text overlapping, double hotkey assignments etc., and those will help you avoid making the same mistakes again in future. So yes, practising SW localization is definitely a good idea, especially if that's what you want to specialize in.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo: questions and how to practice

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »