Is a localization software good enough to localize software + help documentation?
Thread poster: croquerm
croquerm
croquerm
English to Spanish
Jul 2, 2010

I am new in the translation field. I am translating a technical software from English to Spanish (*.dll, *.chm, images & examples) Since the company is planning to add more languages in the future, a localization tool seems like the best way to go.

I don't know if a localization software is good enough to translate help content. How do you usually manage the terminology along the software product? I downloaded free trials of Sisulizer, RC Wintrans and Lingobit. I was able to create,
... See more
I am new in the translation field. I am translating a technical software from English to Spanish (*.dll, *.chm, images & examples) Since the company is planning to add more languages in the future, a localization tool seems like the best way to go.

I don't know if a localization software is good enough to translate help content. How do you usually manage the terminology along the software product? I downloaded free trials of Sisulizer, RC Wintrans and Lingobit. I was able to create, import and export TM and even Terminology (in Lingobit) but It seems that these programs do not check for terminology like Trados or MemoQ do.

As far as I know the terminology management help you with translation consistency. This software has a lot of technical and particular words that I need to use continuosly in the software and the documentation.
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:11
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
I'd say, no Jul 2, 2010

Tools intended for localization are exactly that - intended for localization, meaning .exe., .dll and other binaries.

.chm files are compiled html help files - I suggest you decompile them, translate them with a CAT tool that can process html and then compile again the .chm file. You can use for example the Microsoft Html Help workshop tool for this purpose. You can download it from the microsoft download center.

I do not know if there are tools could potentially handle
... See more
Tools intended for localization are exactly that - intended for localization, meaning .exe., .dll and other binaries.

.chm files are compiled html help files - I suggest you decompile them, translate them with a CAT tool that can process html and then compile again the .chm file. You can use for example the Microsoft Html Help workshop tool for this purpose. You can download it from the microsoft download center.

I do not know if there are tools could potentially handle .chm directly, but I strongly recommend against using any tool for this purpose - there are indexes and cross-links in the help files that will get messed up if you use the compiled .chm, this is not like a resource segment in a binary.

[Editado a las 2010-07-02 20:36 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a localization software good enough to localize software + help documentation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »