How to convert Xliff into Excel and then back to Xliff?
Thread poster: Comms
Comms
Comms  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2008

Hi everyone,

We have a client who wants us to convert Xliff file into Excel format for their reviewers, then convert the reviewed Excel back into Xliff?

Could anyone tell me how to do that?

We have SDL Trados 2007 Professional full version, the client has Heartsome.

I understand that tools like Catalyst, Passolo may work better with Xliff? But is there any other software (preferably small and cheap ones) can convert Xliff?

Thanks i
... See more
Hi everyone,

We have a client who wants us to convert Xliff file into Excel format for their reviewers, then convert the reviewed Excel back into Xliff?

Could anyone tell me how to do that?

We have SDL Trados 2007 Professional full version, the client has Heartsome.

I understand that tools like Catalyst, Passolo may work better with Xliff? But is there any other software (preferably small and cheap ones) can convert Xliff?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
English to French
MemoQ will do that just fine Nov 10, 2008

Hi Sue,

MemoQ will properly import and export XLIFF, as well as bilingual RTF if needed. You could import the XLIFF file, export it as bilingual RTF, have it reviewed, import it back, then export as XLIFF.

It is not Excel (even though macros are freely available to convert bilingual RTF to table and back, for instance with the PlusToyz template available from the Wordfast Yahoo group), but it can easily be edited by anyone using Word.

For your info, not many CAT tools do have a proper support of XLIFF files. Heartsome and MemoQ being the two mainstream ones wich will actually create proper XLIFF from standard files. The limited support SDL Trados offers is to only consider the units as source text to be translated, so your XLIFF would have to be properly prepared using other tools first.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
English to Spanish
XLIFF support Nov 10, 2008

Denis HAY wrote:

For your info, not many CAT tools do have a proper support of XLIFF files. Heartsome and MemoQ being the two mainstream ones wich will actually create proper XLIFF from standard files.

Denis,

Your statement is incorrect. Swordfish creates absolutely valid XLIFF files and is totally compliant with XLIFF standard.

FWIW, Maxprograms, the company that develops Swordfish, is involved in the creation of XLIFF standard at OASIS. The other two companies that you mention in the quoted text are not part of the XLIFF TC.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Support for XLIFF standard Nov 11, 2008

Denis HAY wrote:

For your info, not many CAT tools do have a proper support of XLIFF files. Heartsome and MemoQ being the two mainstream ones wich will actually create proper XLIFF from standard files.

Denis,

Your statement is incorrect. There are more than two tools that create proper XLIFF files. For example, Swordfish creates absolutely valid XLIFF files and is totally compliant with XLIFF standard.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
MemoQ doesn't support XLIFF standard Dec 11, 2008

Hi Denis,

I checked an XLIFF file created with Memoq and noticed it does not respect the XLIFF standard. Memoq adds elements and attributes invented by Kilgray to the files.

You can get the file from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/XLIFF/XLIFF.zip and check it yourself.

Regards,
Rodolfo

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
MemoQ is compatible with XLIFF tools Dec 11, 2008

Hi Rodolfo,

Thanks for posting this. About two days ago you already warned me that MemoQ does not follow the standard. I sent an email to you telling that we will correct this glitch in the next version.

For the time being, MemoQ is compatible with all mainstream tools that support XLIFF - and I believe this is what matters. I admit that we misinterpreted the standard, but as we do our testing with other tools, it is still safe to use MemoQ with Idiom Worldserver, Heart
... See more
Hi Rodolfo,

Thanks for posting this. About two days ago you already warned me that MemoQ does not follow the standard. I sent an email to you telling that we will correct this glitch in the next version.

For the time being, MemoQ is compatible with all mainstream tools that support XLIFF - and I believe this is what matters. I admit that we misinterpreted the standard, but as we do our testing with other tools, it is still safe to use MemoQ with Idiom Worldserver, Heartsome or Swordfish files.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Best regards,
István
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF like files... Dec 12, 2008

István Lengyel wrote:

For the time being, MemoQ is compatible with all mainstream tools that support XLIFF - and I believe this is what matters. I admit that we misinterpreted the standard, but as we do our testing with other tools, it is still safe to use MemoQ with Idiom Worldserver, Heartsome or Swordfish files.

Ehm...
The opposite direction may be a problem.

I don't tested it with MemoQ but Swordfish is very strict on malformed XLIFF files and may "corrupt" 'em.
Probably the best editor for dummies for "XLIFF like" files I spotted is SDLX.
E.g. I used it succesfully to hack Logoport "XLIFF like" XLIFF editor files.

BTW.
The Trados (TagEditor) support for XLIFF is just a joke.
My katz wud do bettah.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-12 11:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert Xliff into Excel and then back to Xliff?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »