Thread poster: Núria Bonet
Núria Bonet
Núria Bonet  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 26, 2008

Hello,
I am quite new in Trados and xliff files.
Now I am translating an xliff file and in one translation unit I have the text to be translated and < br > in the middle.
What does < br > mean? Shall I leave it? Is it going to affect somehow the format of the final text?

Thank you in advance,

Núria

Cameron Fordyce
Cameron Fordyce
Italy
Italian to English
Xliff DTD Aug 26, 2008

Hi,

I have never translated an xliff file before but xliff is in XML ( a markup language ) and therefore, it should follow the structure or format set out in a DTD , Xliff's dtd is located here,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff.dtd

and there didn't seem to be a br element. I suspect that this is an html element, oft
... See more
Hi,

I have never translated an xliff file before but xliff is in XML ( a markup language ) and therefore, it should follow the structure or format set out in a DTD , Xliff's dtd is located here,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff.dtd

and there didn't seem to be a br element. I suspect that this is an html element, often written as br which stands for a line break. Probably it would not hurt to leave it as is.

Hope that helps.

Cam

[Edited at 2008-08-26 09:12]

[Edited at 2008-08-26 09:12]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Line break Aug 26, 2008

It is a line break, similar to Shift-Enter in Word. And yes, it affects the format.

Núria Bonet
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 26, 2008

Hynek Palatin wrote:

It is a line break, similar to Shift-Enter in Word. And yes, it affects the format.

Thank you Hynek!

Núria Bonet
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 27, 2008

Thank you Cameron as well!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what is < br > in a xliff file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »