Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28] >
“龙”的英文应该翻译成 Loong - 转发 (A Chinese Teacher Suggests that "Dragon" should be written as "Loong")
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:43
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great to see you are back and re-joining in the discussion! Apr 17, 2006

David Shen wrote:
Kevin:

你好! 我拖到今天才把税报好,每年这个时候表格送出后就感到"无债一身轻".
浏览上面各帖,对你在英语论坛上发起一项调查的做法拍案称好.人家怎么回答是另一回事,但有疑惑或难下定论时将之公诸于众,让不同文化背景和层面的人们见仁见智,绝对是个好方法.你带了这个头,希望我们中文论坛的每位成员今后必要时都能这样做.这不会对本论坛的凝聚力有什么不利,反而会使我们的眼界更开阔,内容更丰富,对有专业需要的译员,针对性更强.这方面,这论坛上的几位老将远远走在前面.懂得何处寻求资料是一关键的治学方法.尤其要推荐.

你说我忧国忧民,人在美国的我是断然不敢以此自居的.早已无当年豪情壮志,只求能管好自己已经算不错了. 上星期在看到李斌兄转贴这题后的发言,最多只是作为旁观者,有感即发而已.即使有出言不逊之处,我只是针对现象,并非要针对某个人.谁会想到还真招来了对手. (各位,下次不管往哪个方向扔石头, 要当心啦.世界这么小,到处会砸到人的) 今天看到黄教授上面这贴中讲到的他曾经提出过的"旁观者经济学"和"当事人经济学"等学术题,我已经知道自己不是他的对手.因为他的这些研究,我连个概念都没有.谈啥花头? 更不敢为他翻译. 但我上星期答应的,我还欠他一个说法,一定会开诚布公,谈谈我的想法.

拜读了诸位上面各贴及你在英文论坛上的调查,使我想到了苏东坡这一句,此间颇为贴切:

横看成岭侧成峰, 高低远近各不同.
不识庐山真面目, 只缘身在此山中.

你在第一页上提出的另外三,五个思绪,有关熊猫, 蒙古人和"你中有我", 容我想想后再作回应.不过我可以告诉你: 我从没把你当过外人. 我想这论坛上的汉族人连想都没想到过这个问题.我不够格, 但其中也许有人还想当你的内人呢.

Dave,

Great to see you are back and re-joining in the discussion! I totally know how good it feels to get the annual tax return done. I just tuned in mine last Friday, with a relief feeling of my citizen duty being fulfilled and a aching heart for the gave-away money that was earned by counting words. Is winning lottery still a possiblity or I had better marry someone rich and live a worry-free life?

I have never thought for a moment that you would have an issue with the nationality issues. Let's just put it as is and not develope on that. It can be a subject that gets messy for here. But, you are more than welcome to send me private emails.

Get youself a glass of Whisky on Rock to celebrate your citizen duty well done!

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-04-18 00:25]

hj58
hj58
Local time: 19:43
English
to Mr. Kevin Yang Apr 17, 2006

to Mr. Kevin Yang

Mr. Kevin Yang, many thanks for this Poll. Can you paste the last results here? I only have a record as below, and I can't visit the last results page because I'm not the high grade member. Thank you!

---------------
What is your general impression when you see the word "dragon" or its image?
Poll by Kevin Yang

Lovable, unique, interesting, etc. 34.9%

No opinion 28.9%

Evil, demon, harmful, etc. 26.
... See more
to Mr. Kevin Yang

Mr. Kevin Yang, many thanks for this Poll. Can you paste the last results here? I only have a record as below, and I can't visit the last results page because I'm not the high grade member. Thank you!

---------------
Poll by Kevin Yang

Lovable, unique, interesting, etc. 34.9%

No opinion 28.9%

Evil, demon, harmful, etc. 26.5%

Do not know its symbolic meanings. 9.7%

Total votes: 823

Discuss (55)
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Here is the copy of the poll result Apr 17, 2006

Prof. Huang,

Here is the copy of the poll result:

Poll by Kevin Yang

1. Lovable, unique, interesting, etc. 34.4%
2. No opinion 29.1%
3. Evil, demon, harmful, etc. 26.8%
4. Do not know its symbolic meanings. 9.8%

Total votes: 850
Totoal Discussion Messages (63)

Hope this will help.

Kevin

hj58
hj58
English
沈先生,你好: Apr 17, 2006

沈先生,你好:

我是在网上检索时发现这里在讨论我的观点。对经济学我只是一个业余爱好者,网上一些熟悉的网友都知道。在这里举例而已,没有其他意思。

嘿嘿,我没有发起龙崇拜的意图。我在学校教广告课程。一些产品的商标包含汉字“龙”,出口时就翻译成了“Dragon”,例如“Golden Dragon”,影响了销售。再考虑到龙代表中国(至少部分中国人和外国人这么认为),所以觉得有必要为龙正“英”名(英文名称)。仅此而已。

说来惭愧,艺术设计我也是业余爱好者,设计时凭感觉调整(电脑的方便之处),谈不出系统的东西。大家喜欢它,我很荣幸,可以随便用。更欢迎内行多多指点。

我也希望能够买到龙汗衫,穿上不知道是什么样子,嘿嘿。

这次大家热烈讨论、畅所欲言,本身就是对我很大的帮助。如果以后有了新想法,尽管继续发表。我也会经常进来看看。直接写信给我也非常欢迎。

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
這個說法有數據嗎﹖ Apr 18, 2006

hj58 wrote:

一些产品的商标包含汉字“龙”,出口时就翻译成了“Dragon”,例如“Golden Dragon”,影响了销售。

這個說法有數據嗎﹖
紐約市政府砸了很多錢宣傳唐人街﹐ 各種文件﹐宣傳﹐招貼﹐LOGO﹐ 口號都離不開龍(DRAGON那個龍)。當地的各種店面招牌印有以DRAGON和龍的圖形的不勝枚舉(到處都是)。香港龍舟節每年在紐約有賽場﹐多數報紙都把龍舟譯為DRAGON BOAT。 參賽隊伍都是NATIVE English SPEAKERS。

[Edited at 2006-04-18 07:05]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
龍性本善 Apr 18, 2006

jyuan_us wrote:

hj58 wrote:

這個說法有數據嗎﹖
紐約市政府砸了很多錢宣傳唐人街﹐ 各種文件﹐宣傳﹐招貼﹐LOGO﹐ 口號都離不開龍(DRAGON那個龍)。當地的各種店面招牌印有以DRAGON和龍的圖形的不勝枚舉(到處都是)。香港龍舟節每年在紐約有賽場﹐多數報紙都把龍舟譯為DRAGON BOAT。 參賽隊伍都是NATIVE SPEAKERS。

從 Kevin 貼出的意見調查數據

2. No opinion 29.1%

很清楚可以看出,這樣的問題像是問「人性本善,還是本惡?」,得到的答案也差不多如此。大多數的人還是願意相信「人性本善」的,如果有四分之一強的人認為「人性本惡」,有的人就會說「你看,人性果然是惡的!」,但是那不影響三分之一強的人說「沒關係,人的本質還是善良的。」

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
GREAT POINT Apr 18, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

hj58 wrote:

這個說法有數據嗎﹖
紐約市政府砸了很多錢宣傳唐人街﹐ 各種文件﹐宣傳﹐招貼﹐LOGO﹐ 口號都離不開龍(DRAGON那個龍)。當地的各種店面招牌印有以DRAGON和龍的圖形的不勝枚舉(到處都是)。香港龍舟節每年在紐約有賽場﹐多數報紙都把龍舟譯為DRAGON BOAT。 參賽隊伍都是NATIVE SPEAKERS。

從 Kevin 貼出的意見調查數據

2. No opinion 29.1%

很清楚可以看出,這樣的問題像是問「人性本善,還是本惡?」,得到的答案也差不多如此。大多數的人還是願意相信「人性本善」的,如果有四分之一強的人認為「人性本惡」,有的人就會說「你看,人性果然是惡的!」,但是那不影響三分之一強的人說「沒關係,人的本質還是善良的。」

Wenjer, good point.

偶然發現這個學校的旗幟上的圖案﹐ 不知是什麼動物﹕
http://www.drexel.edu/em/

這大小也不算太差的學校吧。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
看看這個 Apr 18, 2006

看看這個 http://www.drexeldragons.com/ 他們看來大可自稱「龍的傳人」,而且還真的感到榮耀呢。

不過,這所大學似乎沒有排他性的表現,反倒有吸收菁英的容他性表現。

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Religion background plays a role to influence the forming of negative impressions about dragon? Apr 18, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Wenjer, and all

Thank you for your continuous inputs. Unfortunately, among the 26.8% voters who voted "dragon" is "Evil, demon, harmful, etc." did not speak in that follow-up poll discussion. But, from the follow-up discussion, the voters brought up the possible sources which have negative depictions of the dragon. The Bible is also among those sources. I start to believe that the religion background played a role to influence the forming of negative impressions about dragon among those people. But, note well, in America, for example, not everyone is religious.

Kevin

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
NATURE 與NURTURE Apr 18, 2006

看看不丹是怎樣看待DRAGON,下面所引,會有啟示﹕
Bhutan is a Buddhist state where power is shared by the king and government. The country's name in the local dialect means Land of the Dragon. In Bhutan, thunder is believed to be the voices of dragons roaring. In about 1200, a monastery was set up called the Druk (Thunder Dragon) with a sect called the Drukpas, named after it. The name and the emblem of the dragon have been associated with Bhutan ever since. The dragon on
... See more
看看不丹是怎樣看待DRAGON,下面所引,會有啟示﹕
Bhutan is a Buddhist state where power is shared by the king and government. The country's name in the local dialect means Land of the Dragon. In Bhutan, thunder is believed to be the voices of dragons roaring. In about 1200, a monastery was set up called the Druk (Thunder Dragon) with a sect called the Drukpas, named after it. The name and the emblem of the dragon have been associated with Bhutan ever since. The dragon on the flag is white to symbolize purity. 大漢民族當然會說,這是受中國的影響,但要說明的是,從不丹佛教的眼光,龍是性善的。若把龍視為帝皇的圖騰,皇帝喜怒無常,就像龍一樣,翻雲覆雨,雞犬不寧,人民受苦受難,這條龍則性惡。龍『姓』善,就是善龍先生,龍『姓』惡,就是惡龍先生。看來,龍、DRAGON及LOONG,都是患性格分裂症,或具雙重性格,時善時惡,人也是如此。龍是由人想像出來的東西,因此有善亦有惡。至於『本性』的問題,老師說,人生在世,如同白紙,善惡之分,後天培養。這是NATURE 與NURTURE之辯,仍是眾說紛芸。若龍先天性善,後天就要遠離邪惡,如LOONG先天性惡,則後天要向善行善。中國要和平崛起,可能是不想做美帝。中國由惡至善,美國從善轉惡,均是後天起作用。
Collapse

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dragon dance to welcome President Hu Jintao Apr 18, 2006

http://news.wenxuecity.com/BBSView.php?SubID=news&MsgID=241886

[Edited at 2006-04-18 21:48]

ttbug
ttbug
English to Chinese
强烈支持 Apr 28, 2006

强烈支持把我们的“龙”翻译为loong。太棒了!

Chulhyun Ahn
Chulhyun Ahn
Spain
Local time: 13:43
Korean to English
+ ...
Koreans have prefered feathered creatures over dragons. Jul 21, 2006

Koreans prefered to associate themselves with feathered creatures.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May I ask ...... Jul 21, 2006

nooyawker wrote:

Koreans prefered to associate themselves with feathered creatures.

What those "feathered creatures" are? Please give me a few examples. It could be very interesting. Thanks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“龙”的英文应该翻译成 Loong - 转发 (A Chinese Teacher Suggests that "Dragon" should be written as "Loong")

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »