Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
I propose another subthread :-))) May 28, 2007

Cases of overpromise?

«The nicest city in the world!» «The best place ever!» «Amazing!» «Wow!» «Breathtaking... » «You will fall in love as soon as you arrive»...

But then... nothing is so wow or breathtaking and you realize that you have seen places that are much nicer!

Has this ever happened to you?

It happened to me with Bruges. I agree that it is nice, but not nicer than many other places: Prague, Toledo, to mention just two.... See more
Cases of overpromise?

«The nicest city in the world!» «The best place ever!» «Amazing!» «Wow!» «Breathtaking... » «You will fall in love as soon as you arrive»...

But then... nothing is so wow or breathtaking and you realize that you have seen places that are much nicer!

It happened to me with Bruges. I agree that it is nice, but not nicer than many other places: Prague, Toledo, to mention just two.

Au
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 13:40
Overpromise May 28, 2007

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Cases of overpromise?

Yes... with Prague. I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for this city, I'm sorry...

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:40
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Romania - România - Rumänien - Roumanie May 28, 2007

Russells choice sounds very poetic (onomatopoetic).
I have been to Lipari 10 years ago, but just for some hours. Would like to spent some more days there. But I still got the pumice stones I found on the beach. Very useful souvenir.:-)

Claire Cox wrote:
2) South Africa - especially to see the fantastic flowers and plants
This would be too much for me. I could only move like a snail to study every single flower.

My Top 3 Nature
1. Romania * e.g. Nationalpark Craiului
2. Costa Rica – for its wonderful nature and how they protect it
3. Not quite sure between Italy Abruzzo Parco Nazionale (bears and wolves) and remote areas in Spain with happy pata-negra pigs

* I have never been to Romania, but there is a lot of wonderful nature, mountains, woods, great variety of wildlife, bears, wolves, lynx and even poor people have great respect for nature. I would definitely learn Romanian therefore.
My top destination for people I would like to meet
- San people (Bushmen) the indigenous people of the Kalahari Desert. I would like to know more about their Art of Tracking. http://www.cybertracker.co.za/ Their clicking language is too difficult for me, but quite a lot of them speak Afrikaans and surprisingly enough I can understand THEIR Afrikaans better than the Afrikaans spoken by Europeans in the city.
Saludos
Stefania

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My three May 28, 2007

francesca battaglia wrote:

Say you win the opportunity to see 3 places in the world, what would they be?

as for me, I long thought about it. I would say,

Canada,
New Zealand
and Japan..

But here I m a little bit undecided because I really want to see Iceland as well..But i guess that if i was given a free ride I would pick the most expensive of the two..Island, I would go another time..No problem

Fra

If I must confine my choices to only three, they would be:
1. Mexico (especially the Yucatán) - hope to go next year.
2. Ecuador (for the volcanoes) (including Galápagos)
3. La Palma, Canary Islands (volcano).

I've been to Iceland (in midsummer) and it's absolutely wonderful - and highly seismic. One of the most interesting places I've ever seen. And great people too.
And I've been to Hawaii - stayed near Kilauea - the constantly erupting volcano - and took the trip over it in a helicopter. What an extraordinary, multi-faceted island!
Great thread!
Jenny.

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Iceland.. May 28, 2007

Hi Jenny, i read you've been to Iceland. A few yrs ago some friends showed me pictures of their vacation there and i was struck by the amazing and almost alien views. Also many of Bjork's videos relly made me curious and eager to see this strange land. I would like, one day, hopefully soon, to rent a car and make the whole tour. Only, i m a little bit concerned about the food. Being almost vegetarian and eating no fish at all, maybe it will be hard to find alternatives. I ask you, since you've b... See more
Hi Jenny, i read you've been to Iceland. A few yrs ago some friends showed me pictures of their vacation there and i was struck by the amazing and almost alien views. Also many of Bjork's videos relly made me curious and eager to see this strange land. I would like, one day, hopefully soon, to rent a car and make the whole tour. Only, i m a little bit concerned about the food. Being almost vegetarian and eating no fish at all, maybe it will be hard to find alternatives. I ask you, since you've been there already what are the more common dishes? do you think i ll have problems?

Fran
Collapse

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only 3... May 28, 2007

Egypt
Sweden
Scottland

Anyone coming to Mexico City?, drop me a line.
I am currently in the Yucatán Peninsula in an on site project and yes, it is definitely necessary to come here at least once in your life.

Regards from Valladolid, Yucatán.

Y

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
New York City and Cairo May 28, 2007

Even though the two may not have much in common, and NYC, yes, even though I can't take an elevator

I will think about the third one later And, by the way, anybody going to Istanbul, just drop me a line. I don't live there anymore, but did so for almost twenty years, so I can still come up with some tips.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
So many places... so little time (and money!)... May 28, 2007

Nice idea for a dreaming break, Francesca!

In order of priority right at this moment and, of course, not including the ones we have seen already:

1) Petra (Jordan)
2) Egypt (all those beautiful monuments and the Red Sea area)
3) Not a place, but a natural phenomenon: the Northern Lights (probably somewhere in Northern Canada).

But also... (we can cheat a bit, right? )
... See more
Nice idea for a dreaming break, Francesca!

In order of priority right at this moment and, of course, not including the ones we have seen already:

1) Petra (Jordan)
2) Egypt (all those beautiful monuments and the Red Sea area)
3) Not a place, but a natural phenomenon: the Northern Lights (probably somewhere in Northern Canada).

But also... (we can cheat a bit, right? )

4) Mexico (yes, definitely!...)
5) Machu Picchu (Peru)
6) The Taj Mahal (and as much as I can visit in India...)
7) Angkor Wat (Cambodia)
8) The Great Wall of China (and other areas, too, though China it's biiig...)
9) Israel (especially Jerusalem and the Dead Sea)
10) Fiji (Fidji?)/Seychelles/Maldives/Bermudas/Antilles (greater/lesser) islands (I love paradise-looking islands in general...)
11) Easter Island (Chile)
12) Iguazú Falls (either from the Brazil or Argentina side, or best if from both sides, to have a chance to visit both countries...)

Etc. etc.

You all enjoy your future travels (real or dreamed),

Ivette

P.S.: Just corrected "Easter Island" (I had written "Eastern", like the old airline).

[Edited at 2007-05-29 12:04]
Collapse

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
My three and the overpromise May 28, 2007

I am living in Hawaii right now (sorry, very small house, I'm trying to survive my visiting father-in-law)...... It's ok, but for me it's the overpromise someone mentioned before. I would like to visit:
1. Sweden (there's a small chance I will move there within two years)
2. New Zealand
3. Japan
Yesterday my boyfriend (who already visited my whole top 3) suddenly mentioned Alaska as our holiday destination. Good idea!!...
See more
I am living in Hawaii right now (sorry, very small house, I'm trying to survive my visiting father-in-law)...... It's ok, but for me it's the overpromise someone mentioned before. I would like to visit:
1. Sweden (there's a small chance I will move there within two years)
2. New Zealand
3. Japan
Yesterday my boyfriend (who already visited my whole top 3) suddenly mentioned Alaska as our holiday destination. Good idea!!

I loved, and would like to return to:
1. Iceland
2. Prague
3. South Germany
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Food in Iceland May 28, 2007

francesca battaglia wrote:

Hi Jenny, i read you've been to Iceland. A few yrs ago some friends showed me pictures of their vacation there and i was struck by the amazing and almost alien views. Also many of Bjork's videos relly made me curious and eager to see this strange land. I would like, one day, hopefully soon, to rent a car and make the whole tour. Only, i m a little bit concerned about the food. Being almost vegetarian and eating no fish at all, maybe it will be hard to find alternatives. I ask you, since you've been there already what are the more common dishes? do you think i ll have problems?

Fran

I seem to remember that a lot of fish was served - including a local "speciality" which was raw pickled shark, one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. Iceland is a very modern, forward-looking country and I'm sure they must cater for vegetarians, but I don't actually know. Perhaps you should try googling some Icelandic hotels/resorts and find out about their menus? It's best to visit in summer, as in winter it's almost permanently dark, although you might get to see the northern lights. Conversely, in midsummer it's light all night, which is a very strange feeling and adds to the fascination of the place. Wear warm clothes and comfortable shoes! And alcoholic drinks are incredibly expensive. Best to avoid buying them - buy as much duty-free as you can before leaving home.
Have a great trip!
Jenny.

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! May 28, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I seem to remember that a lot of fish was served - including a local "speciality" which was raw pickled shark, one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted.

Oh Jenny...the raw pickled shark image gave a total different taste to the yoghurt I am having right now..yuck!
Thanks for the tips! I never thought of looking the hotel menus on the internet. I really hope to make it in the summer 2008, really depends on the year income, flights are quite expensive. I will definately use your advices!

thanks Jenny!
fra

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
My Top 3 May 28, 2007

Thank you for this topic,

Unfortunately my number one place to visit is now almost completely destroyed.
1. Iraq especially, Baghdad- the home of one of the oldest libraries.
2. China wall in combination with central Asia.

3. Istanbul to live and Chicago for a while (return).

Regards,

Nizam

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
and my third: Mardin May 29, 2007

A city in southeastern Turkey, with a very rich history and breath-taking architecture: the lyrical city of my home country Just type Mardin in Google images and see.

But never been there yet. I'll visit it one day, though, with NYC and Cairo. Then, I may travel to Peru, Venezuela, Cuba, and Buenos Aires to have a cup of tea with Au, whom I'll tell my overpromise then, unless she starts that thread here...
See more
A city in southeastern Turkey, with a very rich history and breath-taking architecture: the lyrical city of my home country Just type Mardin in Google images and see.

But never been there yet. I'll visit it one day, though, with NYC and Cairo. Then, I may travel to Peru, Venezuela, Cuba, and Buenos Aires to have a cup of tea with Au, whom I'll tell my overpromise then, unless she starts that thread here

[Edited at 2007-05-29 01:25]
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
My top three May 29, 2007

My top 3 are (no specific order):

- Bora Bora
- USA (all the States if possible)
- Mexico (mainly Cancun and the Riviera Maia - I almost did this one two years ago, but then the Dominican Republic - which I also loved - wan because it was much cheaper...)

Still have lots of translations to do... Sigh!

Valentina_D
Valentina_D  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
my choices May 29, 2007

Hi Fran!

What a great topic!
It's too hard to give just three places, so I'll cheat a bit:

1. Latin America:
I'd love to do a tour through at least the following places: Peru (I have to see the Machu Picchu one day!), Patagonia (seen some pics of this awfully beautiful place), Costa Rica, Mexico (I've already been to Riviera Maya, but would like to do a tour through Chiapas as well one day).... See more
Hi Fran!

What a great topic!
It's too hard to give just three places, so I'll cheat a bit:

1. Latin America:
I'd love to do a tour through at least the following places: Peru (I have to see the Machu Picchu one day!), Patagonia (seen some pics of this awfully beautiful place), Costa Rica, Mexico (I've already been to Riviera Maya, but would like to do a tour through Chiapas as well one day).
2. Scandinavia:
Iceland, definitely, and at least Finland (I've always been 'obsessed' with this country, its lakes and its language), but also Norway and Sweden.
3. New Zealand: after watching 'The Piano', I decided I must see those beaches one day.

If we restrict the choice to Europe/The Mediterranean, then I'd go for:

1. Spain: I LOVE this country, there are just too many places there I want to see. It's such a beautiful country.
2. Jordan (Petra in particular): someone mentioned it earlier and I cannot but agree. It's a fascinating place.
3. Greece: I love the sea!

So, I managed to mention almost all the top places I'd like to visit (well, there would also be...-OK, I'll stop here ).

bye!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

top three places you want to visit

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »