Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Process Jan 3

Peter Motte wrote:

..... I have written some contributions for it. Nowadays I only correct mistakes, sometimes. But it's not a pleasant place anymore to do something. Imagine: you have to do everything for free, but it has demands...

I used to do a lot of correcting (or to be more precise, clarifying) Wikipedia entries and I originally wrote one entire entry, which has since only been slightly modified by others - in ways with which I would not necessarily agree - but which has been generally welcomed as credible, by those "in the know".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Rowe

Then at a certain point I was banned from doing any more correcting to anything on Wikipedia. I was miffed, but I'll admit I had become a little "trigger happy" and was reassured that there exists this light-touch form of editorial control that keeps things from going completely off the rails - and which is only brought to bear when someone is going too far (for instance, me).

So I waited for the specified year, and then applied properly to become an "approved" editor - which I now am.

I consider this a reasonable requirement. I wholeheartedly support the Wikipedia concept, and the democratic right of anyone, anywhere, to intervene as and when they feel like it, on any subject - and for anyone else to do the same.

[Edited at 2024-01-03 10:41 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:12
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Chaos Jan 3

Tom in London wrote:the democratic right of anyone, anywhere, to intervene as and when they feel like it, on any subject - and for anyone else to do the same.

[Edited at 2024-01-03 10:41 GMT]

This sounds like chaos. Why would anyone, anywhere and in any subject, without any filter, be free to do this? This doesn’t sound reasonable, the way you put it.

So, you are an approved editor who works for free?

Anyway, on topic: I don’t use wiki much for professional purposes, as I usually find better sources elsewhere. I couldn’t comment on how reliable it is as my use of it is limited.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
YEs Jan 3

Lingua 5B wrote:

So, you are an approved editor who works for free?

Yes. I do a lot of things for free.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
So do I Jan 3

So do I, but I don’t have to go through a process of “being approved” in order to work for free. If this process was involved, then I wouldn’t like or have the time to work for free.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Last word Jan 3

Lingua 5B wrote:

So do I, but I don’t have to go through a process of “being approved” in order to work for free. If this process was involved, then I wouldn’t like or have the time to work for free.

I think I'd better let you have the last word. Go ahead.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
I have done Jan 4

My partner does a lot of editing on Wikipedia - it's not perfect and should not be taken as an authoritative source but is still an incredibly useful resource and very often correct (because incorrect entries on major topics will usually get corrected and tidied up). I have contributed financially in the past but it's probably time to donate again.

Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
donor Jan 6

I was a donor, and since I started, they are asking more and more often. I wrote to them, it does not change. So I quit.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you contribute to Wikipedia?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »