Thread poster: kd42
kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 21:50
English to Russian
Aug 6, 2023

Good day,

I have a job with many abbreviations which I don’t know, they are mostly close to professional jargon. When I look them up in my linguistic resources or Google for them, I drown in useless results.

Therefore I tried ChatGPT where I type the abbreviation and provide some context, narrow and broad, not too much. Just like the way I would ask a colleague over the phone.

The results are magnificent, ChatGPT easily beats any of the “Acronym...” w
... See more
Good day,

I have a job with many abbreviations which I don’t know, they are mostly close to professional jargon. When I look them up in my linguistic resources or Google for them, I drown in useless results.

Therefore I tried ChatGPT where I type the abbreviation and provide some context, narrow and broad, not too much. Just like the way I would ask a colleague over the phone.

The results are magnificent, ChatGPT easily beats any of the “Acronym...” website with those endless lists, and it beats Google easily too. I get 10 out of 10 correct definitions.

HTH
Collapse

Philip Lees

David Kane
David Kane  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:50
Member (2022)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Good to know Aug 6, 2023

Interesting. I have not been impressed with ChatGPT's translations, though it is sometimes good on those more difficult, rarer phrases. But I have not used it for acronyms yet, and in fact, just finished a project that would have benefitted from this. Thanks.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Aug 7, 2023

Fine, it might decipher acronyms and abbreviations very well but we have to be extremely careful, because ChatGPT lies… very convincingly. The fact that it happens to answer your question is not surprising, since it can go through the whole Wikipedia rather quickly, but if it finds something wrong it will produce a wrong answer. So ChatGPT is doing great, but it’s missing the fact-checking that the next generation should probably be able to deliver.

Christopher Schröder
Keith Jackson
Zea_Mays
Nikita Kobrin
Anton Konashenok
Dalia Nour
Ester Vidal

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I wonder Aug 7, 2023

I wonder whether ChatGPT knows the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation?

I can’t imagine acronyms often being hard to find.

Dalia Nour

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I've tried it: not good. Aug 7, 2023

kd42 wrote:

The results are magnificent, ChatGPT easily beats any of the “Acronym...” website with those endless lists, and it beats Google easily too. I get 10 out of 10 correct definitions.

No, ChatGPT doesn't easily beat any of the websites with those endless lists of acronyms.

1) I tried a Russian acronym КМБ (курс молодого бойца = basic military training). ChatGPT returned several meanings and all of them were wrong.

2) I added context армия (army). ChatGPT again returned several meanings and all of them were wrong.

3) I somewhat narrowed the context: российская армия (Russian army). ChatGPT returned several meanings and all of them were wrong again.

[Edited at 2023-08-07 11:58 GMT]

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Your view is too broad Aug 7, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
Fine, it might decipher acronyms and abbreviations very well but we have to be extremely careful, because ChatGPT lies… very convincingly.

Thanks, Maria, but I am speaking about a very narrow task: where you provide much context and get the reply which you will naturally have to check by googling. Nothing really intelligent, it's a rather dumb directory which understands human language more or less.

Philip Lees

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
There are two ttypes of Russian translators Aug 7, 2023

Nikita Kobrin wrote:
No, ChatGPT doesn't easily beat any of the websites with those endless lists of acronyms.
1) I tried ... all of them were wrong.
2) I added context армия (army) ... wrong.
3) I somewhat narrowed the context: российская армия (Russian army). ... were wrong again.

Naturally, because you wanted to confuse ChatGPT.

I got the correct reply from the 1-st attempt:
===================================+=
kd42:
Добрый день, мне нужно расшифровать сокращение, которое относится к СССР и России, к военной службе, призывникам, это сокращение -- КМБ, оно встречается в документах, посвященных подготовке новобранцев и в разговорах.

ChatGPT
Добрый день!
Сокращение "КМБ" относится к военной службе и связано с подготовкой новобранцев. Оно расшифровывается как "Курс молодого бойца"
===================================+=

Google translation:
===================
kd42:
Good afternoon, I need to decipher the abbreviation that refers to the USSR and Russia, to military service, conscripts, this abbreviation is KMB, it is found in documents on the training of recruits and in conversations.

ChatGPT
Good afternoon
* The abbreviation "KMB" refers to military service and is associated with the training of recruits. It stands for "Young Fighter's Course"
===================

For years, most Russian translators did their best to confuse all packages of machine translation they could reach, they kept translating poetry, highly idiomatic texts, got together on forums and in chats and laughed at the ridiculous translations, they were judging the fish by its ability to climb trees. Few others, in the meantime, successfully used MT for facilitating the work, increase turnaround, quality and consistency, and boost earnings. Soon MT will be a must in most fields, like CAT tools, and the laughter from the Russian forums will gradually fade away.

Now, Nikita, you are repeating the same pattern with ChatGPT. You should decide what you want to achieve: decipher an abbreviation or play a useless game with a sophisticated and useful tool.

[Edited at 2023-08-07 11:29 GMT]

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
Member (2016)
English to Russian
Ваше слово товарищ ... GPT4 Aug 7, 2023

задан краткий вопрос

"что означает аббревиатура КМБ"

ответ GPT4:

Аббревиатура "КМБ" в российском и советском контексте чаще всего означает "Кандидат в мастера спорта боевых искусств". Это спортивное звание, присуждаемое за определенные достижения в разл�
... See more
задан краткий вопрос

"что означает аббревиатура КМБ"

ответ GPT4:

Аббревиатура "КМБ" в российском и советском контексте чаще всего означает "Кандидат в мастера спорта боевых искусств". Это спортивное звание, присуждаемое за определенные достижения в различных боевых искусствах.

Также "КМБ" может быть сокращением от "Курс молодого бойца", что относится к начальной подготовке новобранцев в армии.

Вопрос уточнен

"что означает аббревиатура КМБ в контесте армии"

Ответ GPT4:

В контексте армии аббревиатура "КМБ" означает "Курс молодого бойца". Это начальный этап обучения новобранцев в вооруженных силах, в ходе которого они изучают основы военного дела, военной дисциплины, тактики и другие аспекты службы.
Collapse

kd42
Stepan Konev

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I don't belong to that team Aug 7, 2023

kd42 wrote:

For years, most Russian translators did their best to confuse all packages of machine translation they could reach, they kept translating poetry, highly idiomatic texts, got together on forums and in chats and laughed at the ridiculous translations, they were judging the fish by its ability to climb trees. Few others, in the meantime, successfully used MT for facilitating the work, increase turnaround, quality and consistency, and boost earnings. Soon MT will be a must in most fields, like CAT tools, and the laughter from the Russian forums will gradually fade away.

Now, Nikita, you are repeating the same pattern with ChatGPT. You should decide what you want to achieve: decipher an abbreviation or play a useless game with a sophisticated and useful tool.

No, I didn't want to play a useless game. I just wanted to check the tool. In fact I don't belong to the 'most Russian translators' you described above: I do use MT. I use it for one simple reason: my typing pace is very low unfortunately. Sometimes MT works quite well and needs little corrections but sometimes I have to almost completely rewrite a sentence.

kd42 wrote:

Good afternoon, I need to decipher the abbreviation that refers to the USSR and Russia, to military service, conscripts, this abbreviation is KMB, it is found in documents on the training of recruits and in conversations.

1) Actually if you are able to compose such a request to ChatGPT, you don't need any explanations or definitions: you already know what KMB acronym stands for.

2) It's easier for me to find the meaning of this acronym on special websites with those endless lists than to compose such a request to ChatGPT.

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but things are a bit different from what you said Aug 7, 2023

Nikita Kobrin wrote:
1) Actually if you are able to compose such a request to ChatGPT, you don't need any explanations or definitions: you already know what KMB acronym stands for.

This is not true.

It is very clear that if you come a cross an abbreviation, you have much context: the document (like “Fire Safety Rules”), section name (like “Personal Protection Equipment”), subsection name (like “Breathing Protection”), and there you have this “QWERTY-unit” which either absent online or if you Google for it, you get too many meaningless hits, and at some stage realize that you have reached the limit of Google -- you cannot refine the key phrase any more.
Chat GPT will find the abbreviation correctly in this situation.

If you have no context, the “abbreviations websites” are not going to help. For example, the most popular Russian abbreviations website -- sokr.ru -- will lead you nowhere without context.

https://sokr.ru/КМБ/

Gives you this:
==========================+=
КМБ
концентрат молочного белка
КМБ
компонентная модель бизнеса
КМБ
комсомольско-молодёжная бригада
КМБ
ключ машинный буровой
КМБ
колёсно-моторный блок
КМБ
кредитование малого бизнеса
КМБ
копировально-множительное бюро
КМБ
«курс молодого бойца»
КМБ
Коммунистическая молодёжь Боливии
КМБ
Коммунистическая молодёжь Бельгии
КМБ
коллектор массовых библиотек
==========================+=

This is far worse than ChatGPT.

Nikita Kobrin wrote:
2) It's easier for me to find the meaning of this acronym on special websites with those endless lists than to compose such a request to ChatGPT.

I hate to be rude, but the thread is about ChatGPT and how it can help translators, and not about your habits which you don’t even substantiate. Please stay on topic.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
ChatGPT Aug 7, 2023

Nikita Kobrin wrote:
1) I tried a Russian acronym КМБ (курс молодого бойца = basic military training). ChatGPT returned several meanings and all of them were wrong.

Weirdly, I receive this output even without any context at all and with a typo in my prompt.

And ChatGPT translator can recognize it too:

[Edited at 2023-08-07 19:13 GMT]

Michael Volia
Michael Volia
Ukraine
Ukrainian to Russian
+ ...
Interesting Aug 8, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
And ChatGPT translator can recognize it too:

[Edited at 2023-08-07 19:13 GMT]

But how to link ChatGPT to QTranslate?

[Edited at 2023-08-08 18:58 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try this Aug 9, 2023

Michael Volia wrote:
But how to link ChatGPT to QTranslate?
Download this archive and read the instructions. You need a valid ChatGPT key to activate the ChatGPT translation engine.

[Edited at 2023-08-09 18:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ChatGPT deciphers abbreviations very well

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »