Report lists interpreter and translator careers as best careers of 2011 in U.S.

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Report lists interpreter and translator careers as best careers of 2011 in U.S.".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

23FEVRIER
23FEVRIER
Local time: 10:34
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
+ ...
Really, where? Dec 6, 2010

I am surprised. So, are these people trained to be translators and interpreters. I live and work in Canada, the translation field is not considered seriously and very often, individuals assume that they wake up in the morning and call themselves translators. As for companies, whenever they are hiring a translator they do not know anything about that field either. We are very often confronted to CFA conducting interviews assuming that they throw a list of terms OR sentences that can be translated... See more
I am surprised. So, are these people trained to be translators and interpreters. I live and work in Canada, the translation field is not considered seriously and very often, individuals assume that they wake up in the morning and call themselves translators. As for companies, whenever they are hiring a translator they do not know anything about that field either. We are very often confronted to CFA conducting interviews assuming that they throw a list of terms OR sentences that can be translated at once. I am working for a company which last year hired a French translator with no qualifications, experience and did not even speak French properly, let alone translate the language.

[Edited at 2010-12-06 14:34 GMT]
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 09:34
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
Where did they get that? Dec 7, 2010

I am surprised, if not shocked, too. My freelance business was so slow for at least a year. I watched with horror how the full-time translators that I know got laid off and hired again and laid off and hired once again by one and the same company - a total financial and emotional rollercoaster. And yes, similar to the episode described by 23FEVRIER, I watched completely unprofessional people being hired, for a fraction of cost naturally. So I would take this information with a HUGE grain of salt... See more
I am surprised, if not shocked, too. My freelance business was so slow for at least a year. I watched with horror how the full-time translators that I know got laid off and hired again and laid off and hired once again by one and the same company - a total financial and emotional rollercoaster. And yes, similar to the episode described by 23FEVRIER, I watched completely unprofessional people being hired, for a fraction of cost naturally. So I would take this information with a HUGE grain of salt.Collapse

Andrej Fric
Andrej Fric  Identity Verified
سلوفانيا
Local time: 16:34
عضو (2011)
ألماني إلى سلوفيني
+ ...
It's all over there Dec 7, 2010

Global economic situation, as it is now, shows similar picture in any business, not just translating. People get hired and fired in all fields and downturn in economy cannot spare translation. I worked until recently in field of developement in automotive business and see young and not so young engineers and designers doing jobs, they are not qualified and skilled for. And the result are higher costs, missed deadlines and headache.
We all have to be prepared for 7 slim years, if not more.
... See more
Global economic situation, as it is now, shows similar picture in any business, not just translating. People get hired and fired in all fields and downturn in economy cannot spare translation. I worked until recently in field of developement in automotive business and see young and not so young engineers and designers doing jobs, they are not qualified and skilled for. And the result are higher costs, missed deadlines and headache.
We all have to be prepared for 7 slim years, if not more. Beeing freelancer generaly doesn't mean beeing rich and secure. Or did I miss something?
Quality, reliability and knowledge are the only keys to success right now. And some modesty too.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Report lists interpreter and translator careers as best careers of 2011 in U.S.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »