Fundéu BBVA suggests translations into Spanish for the word "Spin-off" (Source in Spanish)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Fundéu BBVA suggests translations into Spanish for the word "Spin-off" (Source in Spanish)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

M Elena
M Elena
Belgium
Local time: 12:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
; ) Jun 27, 2010

I totally agree with BBVA, I do not understand why people love so much to use "anglicismos" when the term should be translated into Spanish; but it is a fact! I have translated spin-off nearly always as "escisión" but the first three terms suggested by BBVA are correct, within a legal/business context. I am not sure about the translation of the term spin-off as "serie derivada"; I suposse this translation must apply to TV "series" as you mentioned, otherwise it does not make much sense to me. <... See more
I totally agree with BBVA, I do not understand why people love so much to use "anglicismos" when the term should be translated into Spanish; but it is a fact! I have translated spin-off nearly always as "escisión" but the first three terms suggested by BBVA are correct, within a legal/business context. I am not sure about the translation of the term spin-off as "serie derivada"; I suposse this translation must apply to TV "series" as you mentioned, otherwise it does not make much sense to me.

Thank you Romina! Bet regards,
Collapse

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
Un poco de contexto Jun 27, 2010

Pienso que unos frases exemplares y sus traducc iones nos hubiera venido bien:-)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, with reservations Jun 27, 2010

I entirely agree and have been practicing it for 15 years: leaving unnecessary English words in the text is generally bad.

However, our ultimate goal as translators is to convey the message. If both the originator and the recipients use certain English words in their daily activity, we should respect that, the same way a tool manufacturer cannot always prove that a new tool performs serves an engineer better. It's up to the engineer to decide what he/she prefers.

Althou
... See more
I entirely agree and have been practicing it for 15 years: leaving unnecessary English words in the text is generally bad.

However, our ultimate goal as translators is to convey the message. If both the originator and the recipients use certain English words in their daily activity, we should respect that, the same way a tool manufacturer cannot always prove that a new tool performs serves an engineer better. It's up to the engineer to decide what he/she prefers.

Although in an ideal world our customers should accept whatever linguists and translators agree and recommend, customers frequently decide what is best for them... and it it also sensible that way. We can indeed influence a change to the target language in these words, but it takes time. It took time in IT, it is taking time in finance. It's only natural!
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spin-off and split-up Jun 28, 2010

The problem that I have encountered is that Spanish tends to use escisión to refer both to a spin-off and a split-up, so it isn't really surprising that Spaniards employ the English word for the avoidance of doubt.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fundéu BBVA suggests translations into Spanish for the word "Spin-off" (Source in Spanish)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »