Off topic: Help with Trados 19
Thread poster: smtranslatorguy
Jan 30, 2023

Hello to everyone who will be reading. I will try and keep this concise.
The very important premise here is that I am a complete noob. That being said, I am working as a translator for this company, and we use trados 19 at work. I am currently trying to watch as many tutorials as I can, been learning a lot of useful things, and I'm currently in the process of understanding how to use translation memories. The other translators at work have a couple translation memories based on the work t
... See more
Hello to everyone who will be reading. I will try and keep this concise.
The very important premise here is that I am a complete noob. That being said, I am working as a translator for this company, and we use trados 19 at work. I am currently trying to watch as many tutorials as I can, been learning a lot of useful things, and I'm currently in the process of understanding how to use translation memories. The other translators at work have a couple translation memories based on the work they've done for the last 3-4 years, they're very useful obviously because they're very specific, and a lot of times I find that like 20% of the text I'm working with is already translated, and that's great.
Other times though, I find that a string might contain a phrase that I'm sure the TM knows already, but I have to manually translate nonetheless. If I manually go look for the phrase in the TM, I find it, but it doesn't come up to me as a possible fragment, even if it would have a better ratio than some of the fragments that DO come up.
It's the same with the entries I put in the TM. If the string is completely identic to the one I confirmed, it gets automatically translated, but if it is like contained in a string that has some other elements, or if there's a one word difference, then I have to type it all over again.
I understand it is not so much a clear issue as a bunch of random things that I will gradually sort out, because I still don't really know my way around trados, trust me I'm watching those tutorials, but I figured that this thread could be a good idea if in the meantime there were some stupid little things I could be doing or know about that could speed up my process
Collapse

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
_ Jan 30, 2023

I might fall asleep but I'll read all the replies

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 22:44
French to Italian
+ ...
Ciao! Jan 31, 2023

You might need some training...
I tried to teach myself how to use Trados 5 years ago, but I finally decided to take a course and found out that I really needed training, as I had missed a couple of very important basic steps. If you are near Forlì, I suggest the following one:

<
... See more
I tried to teach myself how to use Trados 5 years ago, but I finally decided to take a course and found out that I really needed training, as I had missed a couple of very important basic steps. If you are near Forlì, I suggest the following one:

https://www.terminologia.it/index.php/2022/01/18/trados-studio-level-1/?lang=it
Collapse

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Training in Italian Jan 31, 2023

Hello,
you can go for an individual personalised Trados training in Italian.

You can have a look at https://formation-traduction.fr (I do training in French and in Italian) you can contact me if you want!

[Modifié le 2023-01-31 13:36 GMT]

Stepan Konev

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
ty Jan 31, 2023

Elena Feriani wrote:

https://www.terminologia.it/index.php/2022/01/18/trados-studio-level-1/?lang=it

I agree, I absolutely do need training, I did say I'm a noob
But rn I was looking for some quick fix that could get phrases from my TM to pop out a bit more, because it's always like I have to go look for them (something like a lower % threshold for the fragments idk)
I'm not anywhere near Forlì, but thank you anyway, I'll have a look at it

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
ty Jan 31, 2023

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

You can have a look at https://formation-traduction.fr (I do training in French and in Italian) you can contact me if you want!

first of all, thank you
Personalized as in remote/flexible schedules?

Xanthippe

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
yes, pesonalised, remote, one to one Jan 31, 2023

yes, pesonalised, remote, one to one and you choose the date and time.

On the site you'll find a place to contact me.

smtranslatorguy wrote:

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

first of all, thank you
Personalized as in remote/flexible schedules?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Trados 19

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »