Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:23
English to French
+ ...
Sep 22, 2021

Hi,
I have a file that has already been translated, with a full TM.
What I want to do is to re-apply the TM to the source file, and have Studio mark auto-propagated segments as it would do with a new file.

Currently when I try to do that, it marks the identical segments as 100% matches, the others as CM.

Is there a way to go around this behaviour, and have the file translated with a manual process, i.e. first occurrence as new text, and reps as 100% propagat
... See more
Hi,
What I want to do is to re-apply the TM to the source file, and have Studio mark auto-propagated segments as it would do with a new file.

Currently when I try to do that, it marks the identical segments as 100% matches, the others as CM.

Is there a way to go around this behaviour, and have the file translated with a manual process, i.e. first occurrence as new text, and reps as 100% propagated?
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Source or target? Sep 22, 2021

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:

What I want to do is to re-apply the TM to the source file,

"to the source file" - for sure?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:23
English to Russian
I don't think you can Sep 22, 2021

All your source is known to your TM now. To apply TM to the source file with the above described effect you need a copy of your TM made before you started translating the source file. Now that TM "knows" it all, I don't think it is possible.

expressisverbis
Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Source file og project? Sep 23, 2021

Hi,

Is there a way to go around this behaviour, and have the file translated with a manual process, i.e. first occurrence as new text, and reps as 100% propagated?

First, you don't connect the TM to a file, but to a project, and then you import the source files in question.

One way of doing what you want, would be not to pretranslate the project. Instead you would go segment for segment and add the translation in the TM to your project. Then you would have it propagated as you normally would.
After that you would go to the next untranslated segment and do the same from segment to segment.

More time consuming than pretranslation, but if it is important to keep the propagation status I see no other way of doing what you want.

Roy

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto propagate + pre-translate Sep 23, 2021

OK, but is there a way to both apply the TM automatically and propagate the repetitions without having to press the keys for each segment (the file has thousands of them...)?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Can't see that what you want is possible Sep 23, 2021

OK, but is there a way to both apply the TM automatically and propagate the repetitions without having to press the keys for each segment (the file has thousands of them...)?

As others have already pointed out to you, all the segments are already recognised in the TM. So if you want to propagate automatically without visiting each segment manually, you would have to accept that all segments will be marked at 100%, or even 101%, if the previous and next segment is recognised as 100%.

Roy

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to auto-propagate segments when re-applying a TM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »