Trying to become an independent subtitler, any help?
Thread poster: menyo
menyo
menyo
Local time: 23:54
English to Arabic
Jan 17, 2006

Hello everybody!

I've been working in the subtitling field with several different companies for more than 5 years now. However, so far all I've been doing is just TRANSLATION for subtitles. I am very interested in learning all about the timecoding process so I can become completely independent and can accept a complete subtitling process from clients.

What would be the best software/hardware combination to own to cater for the majority of clients' needs? Would I be able
... See more
Hello everybody!

I've been working in the subtitling field with several different companies for more than 5 years now. However, so far all I've been doing is just TRANSLATION for subtitles. I am very interested in learning all about the timecoding process so I can become completely independent and can accept a complete subtitling process from clients.

What would be the best software/hardware combination to own to cater for the majority of clients' needs? Would I be able to learn the whole time-coding process myself, just by trial and error, or do I need to get some training somewhere? The only software I know that does everything related to subtitling is the WIN2020 program, but recently I'm starting to feel that it's losing its share and other software are showing up.

Any help will be appreciated!

Good luck to everyone!
Collapse

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Local time: 00:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
You can learn that quite easily though it seems difficult for you to some extent. Feb 14, 2006

Good morning Menyo

I think the software you use in particular amongst others is not difficult although i have no priliminary knowledge about it in no uncertain terms, I will tell you why in a moment. The reason is simple. I have been through learning Trados for just few days and I can use it to handle my translation work. Look, an awful lot of people say that they wish to use Trados even some people I know got high educatioin degrees. For more details go to SDL Trados forum here in
... See more
Good morning Menyo

I think the software you use in particular amongst others is not difficult although i have no priliminary knowledge about it in no uncertain terms, I will tell you why in a moment. The reason is simple. I have been through learning Trados for just few days and I can use it to handle my translation work. Look, an awful lot of people say that they wish to use Trados even some people I know got high educatioin degrees. For more details go to SDL Trados forum here in Proz.
This is an introduction that is brief. I just asked about five questions to experts about the use of Trados and I found out it is easy based on the assumption, presumabley thought, that Subtitling software is less complicated. My message briefly is that you must ever never make of it as a relentless hurdle ahead. just get on with it. Wordfast has the same function of Trados however it is simpler. Having said that, Discover the secrets of subtitling software.

Since you have beenlearning it for five years then you are closer than anyone else to master it.

Yours
Mr. Imad
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to become an independent subtitler, any help?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »