subtitling plot-pertinent information (2 questions)
Thread poster: whitelighter
whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
Jul 1, 2022

In the current subtitling project I'm working on, to indicate that third language is being spoken, without actually translating from the third language, I have subtitled "говоря по-испански" ("speaking Spanish") in brackets. Should this subtitle stay on the screen the whole time the person is speaking Spanish, or should it just be on the screen long enough to be easily read?

Also, when translating onscreen text such as date and location (eg "New York City, 1980), sh
... See more
In the current subtitling project I'm working on, to indicate that third language is being spoken, without actually translating from the third language, I have subtitled "говоря по-испански" ("speaking Spanish") in brackets. Should this subtitle stay on the screen the whole time the person is speaking Spanish, or should it just be on the screen long enough to be easily read?

Also, when translating onscreen text such as date and location (eg "New York City, 1980), should this be a different size/font from the rest of the subtitles?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:19
English to Russian
говоряТ по-испански Jul 2, 2022

whitelighter wrote:
"говоря по-испански" ("speaking Spanish")
There is a typo in your translation, it must be "говорят по-испански".
You'd better ask this question here: https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling.html

[Edited at 2022-07-02 02:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subtitling plot-pertinent information (2 questions)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »