I'm very stressed out. How can I improve on my captioning skills?
Thread poster: lylasmith313
lylasmith313
lylasmith313
United States
Local time: 14:09
Jan 6, 2022

I literally just made this account because I'm stressed af and need advice. I'm currently doing a 45-minute video file and I just can't finish in one day. The new company that I've been working for gives me 45-minute video files and I just can't complete them in two days. The most I can compete in one day is 10-15 minutes. This allows me to work, but also go on about my day without being strained to a chair.

I'm currently using their captioning software( as part of the agreement), s
... See more
I literally just made this account because I'm stressed af and need advice. I'm currently doing a 45-minute video file and I just can't finish in one day. The new company that I've been working for gives me 45-minute video files and I just can't complete them in two days. The most I can compete in one day is 10-15 minutes. This allows me to work, but also go on about my day without being strained to a chair.

I'm currently using their captioning software( as part of the agreement), so I can't use the help of machine-generated software if I wanted to.

Am I too slow or what??

As I write this I'm only 10 minutes into the 43-minute video file that I have to turn in at 11:00 today. So, 4 hours from now. I'm tired, constantly tossing and turning in my seat, and taking multiple breaks, since I just wanna stop. I'm obviously not gonna finish and then proceed to feel like shit for not giving my clients the best. What can I do to be faster because all this work for 32 dollars doesn't seem like a prize to me? They pay by minutes, so it's 0.7 per minute with turnaround dates being 36 hours.

Again, how can I be faster because my mental state is genuinely suffering and I don't know how to caption 45 minutes in two days and then turn it in the next.

Thank you all in advance! And feel free to ask questions
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
- Jan 7, 2022

I did ask this question a while back, and one of the veteran subtitler on this website gave his insight.

https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling-page30.html#2921246

I don't know what captioning software your client required you to use (and I don't know if you're allowed to ment
... See more
I did ask this question a while back, and one of the veteran subtitler on this website gave his insight.

https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling-page30.html#2921246

I don't know what captioning software your client required you to use (and I don't know if you're allowed to mention it in public, so be careful), but I know some tools are just so badly designed they would instead hinder your workflow. So maybe it's not your performance being at fault here. Don't feel so bad about it. But you could always practice your speed in your spare time. Unfortunately though, I don't have a practical solution for the problem you are currently facing.

Also, if I may comment on it, $0.7/video minute rate is extremely low. Especially since you live in the US.

[Edited at 2022-01-07 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
lylasmith313

lylasmith313
lylasmith313
United States
Local time: 14:09
TOPIC STARTER
Ahh, Thank you for the reply, Novian Cahyadi! Great minds! :) Jan 7, 2022

And I knowww I've been trying out new companies this year cuz that price is ridiculous... 😢

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm very stressed out. How can I improve on my captioning skills?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »