Subtitling on GNU/Linux
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Dec 22, 2021

Hi,

For those of you who are working on a Linux OS, just in case you've missed these websites, TranslateOnLinux.org (along with LinuxForTranslators.org) discuss tools for professional translators running GNU/Linux
... See more
Hi,

For those of you who are working on a Linux OS, just in case you've missed these websites, TranslateOnLinux.org (along with LinuxForTranslators.org) discuss tools for professional translators running GNU/Linux.

TranslateOnLinux sections on Subtitling and Transcription have been recently updated and expanded.

Any comments/contributions on these (or other) sections are be welcome!

Cheers

[Edited at 2021-12-22 04:22 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Bishop
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
... Dec 23, 2021

Unfortunately, if you've invested ~$2k on professional subtitling/captioning tools, it probably won't make sense to use GNU/Linux for your work machine. I've confirmed that EZTitles and Spot won't run on a GNU/Linux host, and I have the latest version of everything. If you still insist on using GNU/Linux, then you'd be better off using cloud tools such as Ooona or Matesub.

And in case anyone's still using Subtitle Workshop, it half-works on Linux. You still can translate subtitles,
... See more
Unfortunately, if you've invested ~$2k on professional subtitling/captioning tools, it probably won't make sense to use GNU/Linux for your work machine. I've confirmed that EZTitles and Spot won't run on a GNU/Linux host, and I have the latest version of everything. If you still insist on using GNU/Linux, then you'd be better off using cloud tools such as Ooona or Matesub.

And in case anyone's still using Subtitle Workshop, it half-works on Linux. You still can translate subtitles, it just can't play the source video and audio. I've tried to install MPC-HC and DirectX in my Wine container, hoping that it would solve the playback issue. It didn't do anything.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
SubtitleNEXT on Linux Dec 23, 2021

OK, I intended to test SubtitleNEXT on Wednesday night along with the other tools. But I got issues when downloading the demo. Many thanks to Jean for helping me to sort this out.

FWIW, here are the relevant information regarding my system:

- CPU: i5 2520M (Sandy Bridge) @ 2,5GHz, 2 cores/4 threads
- GPU: Intel HD3000
- RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
- SSD: Kingston A400
- Power input: 90W (it's a laptop)
- Li
... See more
OK, I intended to test SubtitleNEXT on Wednesday night along with the other tools. But I got issues when downloading the demo. Many thanks to Jean for helping me to sort this out.

FWIW, here are the relevant information regarding my system:

- CPU: i5 2520M (Sandy Bridge) @ 2,5GHz, 2 cores/4 threads
- GPU: Intel HD3000
- RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
- SSD: Kingston A400
- Power input: 90W (it's a laptop)
- Linux kernel version: 5.15.8-1-default
- Wine version: wine-7.0-rc1

LAV filters were installed inside the Wine container. I chose the full installer and left everything as default.

RESULTS

1. On my system, SubtitleNEXT ran well for the most part. It managed to launch without much tweaking. Suffice to say, almost everything went as you'd expect them to be.

2. The video playback went smoothly up until 480p. Starting from 720p, the playback got choppy. This was because of how much the CPU was stressed. On my system, all 4 cpu threads were used 100% when playing a 720p video as source. RAM usage was fairly normal. Just FYI, my hardware can play up to 1080p@30fps smoothly on VLC and Chrome.

3. The auto-timecoding feature (Cues from Audio) worked perfectly fine.

4. The 'Cues from Voice ' feature didn't work and threw an error dialog, saying: "Floating point division by zero".

5. I exported the subtitles I created to SRT, DFXP, EBU-STL (both open caption and teletext), and VTT. All of them displayed as intended during playback (using VLC).

6. Spellcheck worked.

7. Subtitle error check worked.

8. At first, the subtitle fonts weren't displayed properly inside the program. On mine, they were displayed as squares. To fix this:

- Make sure you have an internet connection.
      - Open Winetricks.
      - Select the default wineprefix.
      - Install a font.
      - Choose any font you want to install.

You don't have to install all the fonts. I only installed Arial and the problem was fixed.

You may get better results in regards to high-res video playback, if you have better hardware than mine. Though I can't guarantee it. Better ask the devs, IMHO.

P.S.
I didn't test the Live Captioning feature, as I don't have a live video source available.

HTH

[Edited at 2021-12-23 16:41 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SubtitleNEXT on Linux Dec 24, 2021

Thank you, Novian, for testing the demo and for this detailed report!

It seems like SubtitleNEXT could be a viable commercial-grade subtitling solution for Linux users on the desktop front, along with OOONA on the cloud front.

I have amended the online text to reflect this.

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling on GNU/Linux

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »