Please recommend a good free PDF-converter
Thread poster: Asso Kork
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:11
German to English
If you're converting regularly ... Jan 26, 2023

... it pays to buy software. I bought Abbyy Finereader long ago when I still accepted PDF files not created from Word. The program is quite accurate and keeps the formatting. There are utilities such as TransTools (free limited edition) that will clean up the output to use in a CAT tool. Fully-capable OCR software certainly saves time and allows you to work more efficiently. Online tools offer the risk of lack of confidentiality.

Paulinho Fonseca
John Fossey
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
Jo Macdonald
Lingua 5B
Daryo

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader and TransTools Jan 26, 2023

Kevin Fulton wrote:

... it pays to buy software. I bought Abbyy Finereader long ago when I still accepted PDF files not created from Word. The program is quite accurate and keeps the formatting. There are utilities such as TransTools (free limited edition) that will clean up the output to use in a CAT tool. Fully-capable OCR software certainly saves time and allows you to work more efficiently. Online tools offer the risk of lack of confidentiality.

Yes, you have to pay for these tools. But essentially you get what you pay for. If you are earning an income from them you can expect to pay for the tools to do so.

ABBYY FineReader allows you to manually guide analysis of the document's format, which, when the format is complex, gives a far better result than leaving analysis of the format to automation.

[Edited at 2023-01-27 16:29 GMT]

expressisverbis
Jo Macdonald
Sebastian Witte

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
English to Russian
WordFast is good Jan 27, 2023

WordFast can convert PDF into Word file with good quality. Not free anymore...

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
@Samuel Jan 27, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

It also depends on the PDF file. Here, I took a PDF file and converted it using various methods, so that you can see what the different programs produce (perhaps also give you an idea of what is realistic out there).

Thank you Samuel. Thorough as always. Notice the resembling results of Trados and Ilovepdf, both using SolidPDF technology.

Strange that the red color is lost ...

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:11
Italian to English
+ ...
Transtools Document Cleaner Jan 27, 2023

Thanks Kevin and John for recommending Transtools, the Document Cleaner is a great tool and well worth €25.

Thanks Samuel for the comparison.
I've tried Word 2019 and Studio but get better results with Finereader.
Here's a video on Finereader settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UCIA6S9YY

Annie Estéphan
Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
PDF X-change Editor Jan 27, 2023

PDF X-Change Editor is the best one

https://pdf-xchange.eu/pdf-xchange-editor/

[Edited at 2023-01-27 13:08 GMT]

Nadia A.
Nadia A.  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 16:11
Member (2016)
English to French
Wondershare PDFelement converter Jan 27, 2023

https://pdf.wondershare.com/convert-pdf.html

Works great to convert PDF to Word.

P.S: I do not advise to use online tools, especially if you are bound by a confidentiality agreement or working on confidential client files.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not all PDFs are equal Jan 31, 2023

if you're unlucky and the PDF file is made only of pictures of text (as opposed to a stream of printable characters) you will struggle to find even a paid software than can convert it into editable text that doesn't need a lot of manual corrections.

As for using "free sites" - putting your client's documents on the Web is not a good idea, to put it mildly.

ABBYY FineReader is well worth buying.

Veronica Rodriguez
Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ask the client Feb 1, 2023

I just politely tell the client that I need a Word file, and would they kindly provide it?

Agences usually have the best conversion software and are able to pay for it.

Josephine Cassar
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, mostly agencies Feb 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I just politely tell the client that I need a Word file, and would they kindly provide it?

Agences usually have the best conversion software and are able to pay for it.

But direct clients usually do not have it.
I bought ABBYY FineReader PDF a long time ago when I was working with courts directly.
Even though most documents were in electronic format they didn't bother much to provide them in that format. Everything that needed translation was sent by registered mail in paper format.
Even so, I am happy with this software, and it saved me a lot of time in the past.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please recommend a good free PDF-converter

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »