Low-cost tool for sharing terminology in real time in a team?
Thread poster: Rita Translator
Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:13
German to English
Nov 11, 2022

I've recently been working on a few projects with colleagues, and I'd like to improve our terminology-sharing process. I'm hoping some of you might know of a helpful tool. So far we've had a shared Google Sheet where we added our terminology. That's not a bad solution, but it doesn't allow for real-time integration into our translation tools (some of us work with memoQ and some with Trados). Here are the criteria from most to least important:

- Less than €50 / month (freeware or o
... See more
I've recently been working on a few projects with colleagues, and I'd like to improve our terminology-sharing process. I'm hoping some of you might know of a helpful tool. So far we've had a shared Google Sheet where we added our terminology. That's not a bad solution, but it doesn't allow for real-time integration into our translation tools (some of us work with memoQ and some with Trados). Here are the criteria from most to least important:

- Less than €50 / month (freeware or one-time payment even better). QTerm from memoQ would fulfill the other criteria, but it would be €360/month, and that is prohibitively expensive for periodic projects like I work on with this team.

- An API for integration into memoQ and Trados

- Allows for at least 5 people to view and edit a termbase

Does a tool like this exist? I'd be very grateful if any of you can point me in the right direction.

p.s. I know that termbases can be exported and shared as files, but with 5 translators sometimes working simultaneously, that would make for a huge mess and is not practical.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TM-Town.con Nov 12, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 10.40.49

Supports Trados 2015 and CafeTran.

Supports sdltdb, tbx, csv, tmx

Shared documents can be searched, edited or updated by the translators the document is shared with.

https://www.tm-town.com/blog/tm-town-sdl-trados-studio-2015-plugin

Perhaps you can persuade the developer, Kevin Dias, to update the plug-in.

Support for mQ wil have to come from Kilgray. Not very likely.

[Edited at 2022-11-12 09:44 GMT]

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:13
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 12, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Supports Trados 2015 and CafeTran.

Supports sdltdb, tbx, csv, tmx

Shared documents can be searched, edited or updated by the translators the document is shared with.

https://www.tm-town.com/blog/tm-town-sdl-trados-studio-2015-plugin

Perhaps you can persuade the developer, Kevin Dias, to update the plug-in.

Support for mQ wil have to come from Kilgray. Not very likely.

[Edited at 2022-11-12 08:11 GMT]

Thanks for the suggestion, Hans. Since our team really is split down the middle for memoQ/Trados users, a memoQ plugin would need to be available before it's helpful for us. I'll keep my eye on it, though, to see whether it is developed in the future (not looking promising if they haven't even updated the trados plugin since the 2015 version, though...).

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TM-Town.com Nov 14, 2022

See also: this post.

Rita Translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Low-cost tool for sharing terminology in real time in a team?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »