Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU
France
Local time: 18:12
English to French
+ ...
Aug 24, 2021

Hello everyone,

Hope you are doing well.
I'm a student in Multimedia translation at the University of Burgundy and I created a survey to help me collect data for my end-of-study dissertation. The subject of this dissertation is: The use and place of cloud-based translation environments in the translation industry.

If you are a professional working in this industry or an intern working in a translation agency, you are my target audience. The more I have people comp
... See more
Hello everyone,

Hope you are doing well.
I'm a student in Multimedia translation at the University of Burgundy and I created a survey to help me collect data for my end-of-study dissertation. The subject of this dissertation is: The use and place of cloud-based translation environments in the translation industry.

If you are a professional working in this industry or an intern working in a translation agency, you are my target audience. The more I have people completing my survey, the more effectively I will be able to use it when writing my dissertation.
It should only take you 5-10 minutes maximum to fill it in.

There are two different parts; one is for the linguists (translators, proofreaders, editors), either freelancers or employees in an agency and the other one is for Project Managers and the Management Team working in an agency.

As I have to send my dissertation in early December, I can collect responses until early November.

Here is the survey link:
https://lnkd.in/dkH8tGRk

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you need more information.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and don't hesitate to share it as well.
Collapse

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:12
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Some questions can have multiple answers Aug 25, 2021

I completed the survey and noticed that I can put several check marks in certain questions.

Good luck with the dissertation!

Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU

Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU
Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple answers Aug 25, 2021

Hello,

Indeed, for some of them, multiple choices are made available.
Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Cloud based CATs are enforced by agencies Aug 25, 2021

Fanny, in your survey it sounds as if translators would choose cloud-based translation environments voluntarily, due to their "merits". I believe that in most cases, cloud-based CATs are forced on translators by agencies, so that translators have no choice in the matter when they want to work with the agency. Some cloud based CATs (like Memsource, Smartling, Crowdin, XTM) are specifically designed around the wishes of agencies and against the needs of translators (for example enforcing useless Q... See more
Fanny, in your survey it sounds as if translators would choose cloud-based translation environments voluntarily, due to their "merits". I believe that in most cases, cloud-based CATs are forced on translators by agencies, so that translators have no choice in the matter when they want to work with the agency. Some cloud based CATs (like Memsource, Smartling, Crowdin, XTM) are specifically designed around the wishes of agencies and against the needs of translators (for example enforcing useless QA runs, disabling export/import functions or other useful functions like segmenting, tagging, etc.).

[Edited at 2021-08-25 12:49 GMT]
Collapse

Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU
Florence Bremond
Anton Konashenok
Georgi Kovachev
Darius Sciuka

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
That's the point Aug 25, 2021

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

Some cloud based CATs (like Memsource, Smartling, Crowdin) are specifically designed around the wishes of agencies and against the needs of translators (for example enforcing useless QA runs, disabling export/import functions or other useful functions like segmenting, tagging, etc.).

Well, that sort of feedback is exactly what the survey seems to be about.

Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU

Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU
Fanny BOURNE-BRANCHU
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to cloud-based CATs enforced by agencies Aug 25, 2021

Good afternoon,

You are absolutely right, that's what I noticed when I did my internship. That's the reason why I put the "what would you improve" question, so that linguists can suggest what would be good to change in the current cloud-based CAT tools that they have to use sometimes. And also why I asked what are the inconveniences of cloud-based tools.

Thank you very much for this interesting point that I won't forget to describe in my writing.

Best regar
... See more
Good afternoon,

You are absolutely right, that's what I noticed when I did my internship. That's the reason why I put the "what would you improve" question, so that linguists can suggest what would be good to change in the current cloud-based CAT tools that they have to use sometimes. And also why I asked what are the inconveniences of cloud-based tools.

Thank you very much for this interesting point that I won't forget to describe in my writing.

Best regards.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cloud-based translation environments survey

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »