Koen van Gilst
Koen van Gilst  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:51
German to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 19, 2011

Dear all,

I'm looking to buy a new project management (/accounting) tool to organize my translation jobs, but before I make my decision, I'd like to get an overview of the possibilities.

So far I've come across the following solutions:

- Using Excel + Word
- Translation Office 3000 (for freelancers): (http://www.translation3000.com/)
- Projetex (TO3000 f
... See more
Dear all,

I'm looking to buy a new project management (/accounting) tool to organize my translation jobs, but before I make my decision, I'd like to get an overview of the possibilities.

So far I've come across the following solutions:

- Using Excel + Word
- Translation Office 3000 (for freelancers): (http://www.translation3000.com/)
- Projetex (TO3000 for agencies)
- Mein Büro (not specifically designed for translators but useful if you live in Germany)
- TOM for Translators (http://www.jovo-soft.de/)
- LSP.net (http://www.lsp.net/)

I'm currently using TO3000, but I'm thinking about switching to LSP.net, which offers an online web application that allows you to manage new jobs quickly and from any location with a web browsers. I'm trying out the demo version right now and I'm very happy with the functionality and the support. But before I sign anything I'd like to know what other options there are.

What are you using to manage you projects?
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Wanted feature: workload calculator Mar 19, 2011

I have been looking around for this too, but I eventually went back to my Excel/Word system.

The main feature I wanted, and could not find, was a kind of workload calculator: a system that would enable me to quickly quote the best possible deadline for a new project based on its number of (weighted) words, or to establish how many words per day I should translate to be able to accept a requested deadline.

Of course the system should keep in account all the previ
... See more
I have been looking around for this too, but I eventually went back to my Excel/Word system.

The main feature I wanted, and could not find, was a kind of workload calculator: a system that would enable me to quickly quote the best possible deadline for a new project based on its number of (weighted) words, or to establish how many words per day I should translate to be able to accept a requested deadline.

Of course the system should keep in account all the previous accepted assignments, allow adjustments like extra hours (or extra out time) and deadline shifting, and possibly a factor of estimated "difficulty" assignable to each project.

I thought Trados workspace should have such a feature, but I could not actually find it there either.

Is there something like this out there?

[Edited at 2011-03-19 12:35 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Try these Mar 19, 2011

Quahill for translation agencies: www.quahill.com
Iuvo for freelancers: www.my-iuvo.com

Koen van Gilst
Koen van Gilst  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Iuvo looks interesting Mar 21, 2011

@Stanislav: Iuvo looks great! Thanks for that. I was unable to find the English language option on the Quahill site. Is it just for Czech agencies?

@Luca: I've not seen that in a TMS yet, but that would be a great feature. I've recently come up with a Excel sheet that does all the calculations for me (including an estimate of the amount of work involved). After some testing it has become quite accurate.

Quiddity
Quiddity
English to Spanish
Projetex / TO3000 May 12, 2011

I have exactly the same problem! In fact I posted almost the same question about two days ago.
I was asking for somebody who could tell me if either TO3000 or Projetex were worth or not.

You said you're using TO3000. How is it? Is it complete enough to be used in a small company or you still have to combine it with other programs? I'm searching for something that allows me doing butjects, project orders for freelands and invoicing all in once (so tired of Word,s excels...) so
... See more
I have exactly the same problem! In fact I posted almost the same question about two days ago.
I was asking for somebody who could tell me if either TO3000 or Projetex were worth or not.

You said you're using TO3000. How is it? Is it complete enough to be used in a small company or you still have to combine it with other programs? I'm searching for something that allows me doing butjects, project orders for freelands and invoicing all in once (so tired of Word,s excels...) so if there are restrictions maybe Projectex or LSP would be better.

Have you tried the projetex trial version? I hadn't heard about LSP but I'll have a look!

Marta
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Stanislav Oct 25, 2011

Thanks for the tip re. Iuvo. I am currently trying the demo. I have been using TO3000 for a few years, but – like many people – am far from impressed by its UI.

Project Management Tool Nov 14, 2011

We work on multiple freelance projects using Microsoft's project management software. Since it allows me to be in sync with current/pending/expected project tasks, I'm alerted on tasks that need priority. It is also compatible with most MS Office application, including EXCEL.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not just for Czechs Nov 14, 2011

Koen van Gilst wrote:

@Stanislav: Iuvo looks great! Thanks for that. I was unable to find the English language option on the Quahill site. Is it just for Czech agencies?

Hi Koen,
I apologize for not answering earlier; I completely missed your question in the forums and only got back to this thread by coincidence.

Since your post is almost eight months old, I believe you've made your choice already, but in case you haven't: QuaHill's website has not yet been localized into English, but the application itself has. I believe that if you simply contact the sales staff, they will answer all questions you might possibly ask.

Although I haven't used QuaHill (it's pretty expensive and Projetex still works for me), I'm convinced that it's customization, networking as well as other options are superior to (almost?) any other translation management software currently available on the market.

alex_schoeber82
alex_schoeber82
Germany
pm tools Aug 18, 2014

Hi Koen

So in the end, which solution did you decide for? This is a very interesting discussion and maybe we could cover some updates/newcomers here.

I didn't come across your posting when I did my first research which is ro
... See more
Hi Koen

So in the end, which solution did you decide for? This is a very interesting discussion and maybe we could cover some updates/newcomers here.

I didn't come across your posting when I did my first research which is roughly about the same topic:
http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/271961-looking_for_best_invoicing_solution.html

Now I have 2 new contributions to the list of potential pm solutions:

www.quickbooks.intuit.com -> which is very powerful, but online and not so much targeted at translators!

www.tradumanager.com -> which is less complex, but easy to work with and translator oriented!

Looking forward to more inputs!

Cheers, AS
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for project management tools for translators/agencies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »