Alternative for LetMeType under Windows 7?
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

Up till now, I am an avid user of LetMeType (http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/) and although it has not been developed any further since 2006, it was working fine for me under Windows XP. Unfortunately, it does not work that well under Windows 7, so I had to deinstall it. Is there any alternative software that basically does the same thing? I'd even be willing to pay for this.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:28
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
AutoHotkey Sep 16, 2010

AutoHotkey works perfectly even in Windows 7.

It's easy to use and easy to update as you work, if you need to add any expressions to the list.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing more automatic? Sep 16, 2010

Hi Ulf, thanks for your reply.
I know, like and have AutoHotkey und I use it for different purposes. However, I do not think that it is the perfect replacement for LetMeType, since I would have to add every expression by hand, while LetMeType always updated itself automatically, just putting all the words that I am typing into a list, without me having to do anything (correct me if I am wrong). Is there nothing more in that direction?

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:28
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
What about installing in XP mode? Sep 16, 2010

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other program that can add to the list automatically as you type.

Have you tried to install LetMeType in XP mode? It might work. Or simply selecting compatibility mode Windows XP for the installation files (right click and select Properties > Compatiblity) before you do the installation.

Sometimes that can take care of minor compatibility problems.

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:28
English to Portuguese
IntelliComplete Sep 16, 2010

I use this application on occasion and it is far better than LetmeType. Unfortunately I don't know if it works under Windows 7, haven't tested it yet. A lot of applications I used to work with seems not to work under it.
Anyway, I hope this helps you. The address is:

http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp/

Good luck

Jan Wentzlaff-Eggebert
Jan Wentzlaff-Eggebert  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:28
English to German
LetMeType works under Windows 7 Pro 64Bit Jan 26, 2011

I have to say that I got so used to this little helper that when I recently made the transition to Win7 I was concerned about the issues you reported. Then I decided to give it a try and installed it. The only thing I had to adjust was to grant my user full access to the programs directory. Ever since it has worked like a charm - even better than on XP, where it sometimes looses "focus" on the program I want to use it with so I have to "refocus" it to, say, my CAT tool.

So I would e
... See more
I have to say that I got so used to this little helper that when I recently made the transition to Win7 I was concerned about the issues you reported. Then I decided to give it a try and installed it. The only thing I had to adjust was to grant my user full access to the programs directory. Ever since it has worked like a charm - even better than on XP, where it sometimes looses "focus" on the program I want to use it with so I have to "refocus" it to, say, my CAT tool.

So I would encourage all who like this tool as much as I do to try installing it.

Cheers,
Jan
Collapse

Attila Bielik
Attila Bielik  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
alt for LMT Feb 17, 2015

Hello,

Have you ever found TypingAssistant_USB_6.1? It is working same as LMT

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Access rights solve many problems Feb 18, 2015

Jan Wentzlaff-Eggebert wrote:

The only thing I had to adjust was to grant my user full access to the programs directory

Yes, this is the same solution one had to use in 2001, when Windows XP superseded Windows 9x. And in 2007 when Vista superseded XP.

Anybody should know about Access Rights and their security aspects. Even in these days some users login as an administrator who owns all rights which is a severe security risk. E. g. the risc of becoming (unknowingly!) a member of a botnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet) that harms lots of other users.

Newbies will find advice on the internet. E. g. here:
http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm
http://www.faqforge.com/windows/take-ownership-of-a-file-or-folder-by-command-in-windows/

But don't ever give full access to the Programs directory. You'd invitate malicious software, then. Grant free acess for certain selected data files only, e. g. for settings or LMT's dictionary (never ever for any .exe file).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternative for LetMeType under Windows 7?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »