Hans-Gerhard Leppert  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:49
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 19, 2010

Hi everybody,

one of my customers creates her documentation with InDesign CS 4. There is an add-on to this program called InCopy CS4. My customer wants this program for me to use for translation.

InCopy makes a small text file out of every text field in the original InDesign file with the file extension .incx.

Does anybody know how InCopy .incx files can be processed with any TM software (preferably Trados or WordFast)?

Thank you in advance.

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:49
English to Portuguese
TagEditor? Jan 19, 2010

Well, TagEditor should be able to take care of it. At least it does with regular .inx InDesign exports.

Hans-Gerhard Leppert
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Jan 19, 2010

Neither Trados 2006 nor TagEditor can process CS4....
Thank you anyway!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Swedish to English
+ ...
Access to MemoQ? Jan 19, 2010

This program can handle InDesign files that have been exported in inx format (xml file). With MemoQ you need no additional plugin

I've only tried this with cs3 files created on a pc but I know cs4 (Mac or other) can also export as inx.

Hans-Gerhard Leppert
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
InCopy Jan 20, 2010

Dear Madeleine,

the problem concerns InCopy files (.incx), not InDesign files. These can be easily opened with WordFast or Trados 2009.

Thank you anyway!

Hans

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Just use INX Jan 20, 2010

Maybe your customer should just use a format that does work instead of forcing you to use .incx...?

Since she obviously has InDesign, she can just export her .indd files as .inx and presto! you can translate them with just about any current CAT tool.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
with tectranslate Jan 20, 2010

Hi! That is one solution, but if you can port the text as editable .pdf you can directly process it using infix .pdf editor and save as text file, then save in indesign cs2 format, import to cs 4 and port to InCopy. There is no directly editing facility offered by all CAT tool suppliers. Readjusting to the incopy will then have to be done in a separate step. Brandis

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:49
English to Turkish
+ ...
Across Feb 15, 2010

I did not test it but it seems that Across is the only CAT supporting Adobe InCopy files.
See https://www.atanet.org/conf/2009/tool_handout.pdf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Text in Adobe InCopy format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »