Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Adobe reader Nov 16, 2009

I agree with Daniel,
you can do it with the usual adobe reader, if your client send the file enabled for comments. I did it for some clients already.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Nov 16, 2009

perry wrote:

I agree with Daniel,
you can do it with the usual adobe reader, if your client send the file enabled for comments. I did it for some clients already.

I think that's what I'll do, then - tell potential clients that I have the free Adobe Reader 9, but that's all. If that's suitable then we can do business, otherwise I'll let the job go.

The whole package is too expensive for me, and I really don't want to get into other software that may, or may not, be acceptable. I hate the stress of trying to "fix" things, particularly with deadlines looming, and I think the stress of doing the job, sending it, then finding they can't read it (and I'm the one at fault for using unsuitable software) would be more than it's worth.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
English to Polish
+ ...
try pdf xchange viewer Nov 16, 2009

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/
excellent free proofreading software and viewer

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
PDF XChange Viewer seconded Nov 16, 2009

Piotr Sawiec wrote:

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/
excellent free proofreading software and viewer

Me too, I like this one most. I never actually had to edit the text in a PDF, mostly I was asked to make my remarks on PostIt notes, which is perfectly possible, and they all neatly open in Acrobat without any problem.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
PDF Converter too Nov 16, 2009

I just need the post-its, and sometimes highlighting. The whole Adobe package is far too expensive.

This summer I translated a book, and the client sent a paper copy to me. I really liked to do this, with a red pen, no computer, just as in the old days.

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Foxit for free Nov 25, 2009

I have been using the free version of foxit without a problem and for at least one year - I never noticed a limited period of use for the free version.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get PDF X Change, and ask the client Nov 25, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:
However, doing a forum search has shown me that the problem is perhaps in my court. It appears that tools exist to perform proffreading tasks rather well in Acrobat. Am I right in saying that you have to buy an Acrobat product? Do I have to either buy or forego these jobs?

1. Get PDF X Change, here: http://www.docu-track.com/ . It's freeware, no matter what the web site might lead to you to believe.

2. Get a PDF file and add some annotations to it using PDF X Change. Send the PDF file to the client and ask him if he can see the annotations. If he can, you're in business. If he can't, then he has to get himself another translator.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in PDF - can it be done?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »