Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Way to import data from Excel sheets into Word?
Thread poster: Nathalie de Ahna
Nathalie de Ahna
Nathalie de Ahna  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:39
English to German
+ ...
Apr 14, 2008

Hi, I often have to deal with Excel files with numerous sheets and lots of exact matches. So far, I've always imported the data manually into word so that I can run an analysis with Wordfast. Is there maybe a way to import all data into Word, e.g. a kind of freeware such as werecat (which imports data from PPT files into word)? Thanks a lot! Nathalie

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
export to CSV, TXT, DIF? Apr 14, 2008

So far, I've always imported the data manually into word

that should do it, if the excel file is not too complicated. With multiple sheets you will have to export every sheet separately. It's a hassle...

smo

[Edited at 2008-04-14 15:01]

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Local time: 18:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Open Excel files from Word Apr 14, 2008

Hi Nathalie,
have you tried to open your Excel file from within Word?
Go into Word, Open file (All files). It will ask you if you want to allow the file to be converted with the Excel converter, answer Yes. Then it will give you an option to save the entire workbook. Say Yes. You may have to fiddle with the table a bit, but all the text should be there.
Good luck
Giuliana

Nathalie de Ahna
Nathalie de Ahna  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 14, 2008

Hi Giuliana,

Thanks a lot - I'll try that.

Cheers, Nathalie
Dr. Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce wrote:

Hi Nathalie,
have you tried to open your Excel file from within Word?
Go into Word, Open file (All files). It will ask you if you want to allow the file to be converted with the Excel converter, answer Yes. Then it will give you an option to save the entire workbook. Say Yes. You may have to fiddle with the table a bit, but all the text should be there.
Good luck
Giuliana

Torben AXELSEN
Torben AXELSEN  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:39
Member (2007)
Finnish to Danish
+ ...
Use MetaTexis to do the job Apr 14, 2008

Using MetaTexis you open a blank Word page and import the Excel file into that page. The software will put the data neatly back in place, once the translation is done. It does it with PowerPoint files as well.
Just download the software and try it out: www.metatexis.com - you won't regret it.

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Why this preference for Excel? Apr 14, 2008

I'll try the metataxis as well - thanks!

But I was wondering why there seems to be this preference for Excel? The program was not intended for text, and it'a a nightmare to work with!

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Have downloaded Metatexis - now what? Apr 14, 2008

I have downloaded Metatexis but I don't seem to be able to import my excel file - the text turns into strange characters. Any hints?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How do you get the target back into Excel? Apr 14, 2008

...Go into Word, Open file (All files). It will ask you if you want to allow the file to be converted with the Excel converter, answer Yes....

Pls remember the target is supposed to end in Excel eventually. Text files, one per spreadsheet, are a safe alternative.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:39
Spanish
+ ...
Office Apr 14, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:

I have downloaded Metatexis but I don't seem to be able to import my excel file - the text turns into strange characters. Any hints?

From the Manual:

Excel files
To translate an Excel file, execute the following steps:

1. Click the menu command MetaTexis | Microsoft Office | Import Excel file.

2. In the dialog box shown, select an Excel file.

3. Click OK. A copy of the selected Excel file with the extension "[MetaTexis].xls" will be created. Then the text elements of the file selected will be extracted and copied in a new Word document. Each text element in this Word document is headed by a little info line which makes is easy to identify it manually, if needed (usually this will not be necessary, of course).

4. The Start Assistant is executed to prepare the translation process (see Start Assistant on page ).

5. When the translation is finished, click MetaTexis | Microsoft Office | Make final Excel file to produce the final version of the Excel file.

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Jennifer Hejtmankova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
Just a tool... Apr 15, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:

I'll try the metataxis as well - thanks!

But I was wondering why there seems to be this preference for Excel? The program was not intended for text, and it'a a nightmare to work with!

Hmmm...I use it quite often for flat-file database work....I think it's just a good flexible tool for processing various kinds of data....

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did try to use the manual Apr 15, 2008

Claudia, thanks, I did try to use the manual, but it doesn't appear to work - maybe because I have Word 2007?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:39
Spanish
+ ...
Word 2007 Apr 22, 2008

I don't know if Metatexis is compatible with Office 2007.

Elena Ruiz
Elena Ruiz

Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Importing Excel takes so long Feb 24, 2014

Hello.

I have the Net/Office version of Metatexis and Office 2013. I'm trying to import an Excel file and it takes litteraly 6 hours!!!! Processing text elements took about 3 hours and importing the file about the same (still working...).

Still no answer from support (I assume replay in 4 hours would be a dream), so I ask you, please, any advice. I cannot imagine I need to spend one day just to prepare a file for translation.
Have you ever experienced this?
... See more
Hello.

I have the Net/Office version of Metatexis and Office 2013. I'm trying to import an Excel file and it takes litteraly 6 hours!!!! Processing text elements took about 3 hours and importing the file about the same (still working...).

Still no answer from support (I assume replay in 4 hours would be a dream), so I ask you, please, any advice. I cannot imagine I need to spend one day just to prepare a file for translation.
Have you ever experienced this?
Thanks!
Elena
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:39
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cut and Paste works just fine Feb 24, 2014

I have to do that a lot too. If you simply select the portion of the spreadsheet you want to copy, cut it and paste it in a Word document, it will become a table. Wouldn't that solve your problem?

Other that that, you can insert an Excel sheet into the text as an object, and it will work normally. However, only part of it will appear in the document if it's too wide or too long.

A third option is to use the Direct Mail functionality, which imports data from an E
... See more
I have to do that a lot too. If you simply select the portion of the spreadsheet you want to copy, cut it and paste it in a Word document, it will become a table. Wouldn't that solve your problem?

Other that that, you can insert an Excel sheet into the text as an object, and it will work normally. However, only part of it will appear in the document if it's too wide or too long.

A third option is to use the Direct Mail functionality, which imports data from an Excel sheet, defining the fields, formats and the order they will appear in the Word document.

Finally, you can use a macro to import only the data you want from the spreadsheet.

So there! Four solutions. One of them must solve your problem, I hope.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
More details please Feb 25, 2014

Elena Ruiz wrote:

I'm trying to import an Excel file and it takes litteraly 6 hours!!!!

Excel file very long?
PC without sufficient amount of RAM?
Some data are transferred online to whoever?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Way to import data from Excel sheets into Word?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »