Thread poster: VCampilongo
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Advance payments are common and fine, foreign cheques are not Jan 10, 2011

In may experience advance payment is absolutely normal for private unknown clients (100%, the same way as when you buy anything from an online shop) and for large jobs (about 30%, usually followed by two more installments, one at 50% of delivery and one at the end). Most direct clients understand the need for this, and accept such requests readily during negotiations. With agencies the negotiation can be more complicated.

However, advance payment by cheque does not make sense, beca
... See more
In may experience advance payment is absolutely normal for private unknown clients (100%, the same way as when you buy anything from an online shop) and for large jobs (about 30%, usually followed by two more installments, one at 50% of delivery and one at the end). Most direct clients understand the need for this, and accept such requests readily during negotiations. With agencies the negotiation can be more complicated.

However, advance payment by cheque does not make sense, because accepting a foreign cheque is an act of faith: a bank can take back the amount practically at any time if they find the cheque is not endorsed. My bank told me that in Italy this might happen even more than 3 months after an US cheque as been credited on my account.
Collapse

VCampilongo
VCampilongo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
suspicions confirmed Jan 10, 2011

Hi All,

our suspicions proved correct! The person disappeared as soon as he read my request of a PO and a bank transfer. Until now, he always promplty answered and now nothing.
So, we can conclude he was a scammer I guess. Thanks eveybody for the help! It is always useful to share these things!

and Good morning to you all

VCampilongo
VCampilongo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am quite puzzled now Jan 10, 2011

I just got the answer from the "customer"... saying he understands my position and that there's nothing to worry about...that at the moment he can only offer a payment by cheque and then we could arrange it better... no reference to the PO... I am quite puzzled because expected him to disappear... maybe I should stress that I need at least a PO? Or just give up?

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
English to French
+ ...
Same story? Jan 10, 2011

Your story sounds familiar. Is it similar to the story of a colleague? See here: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/188200-possible_scam.html#1659817

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I suspect Jan 10, 2011

They read this forum, this is the reason why he replied (my opinion)

Good luck

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The dilemma Jan 10, 2011

VCTranslations wrote:

I just got the answer from the "customer"... saying he understands my position and that there's nothing to worry about...that at the moment he can only offer a payment by cheque and then we could arrange it better... no reference to the PO... I am quite puzzled because expected him to disappear... maybe I should stress that I need at least a PO? Or just give up?

I have no idea why translators keep putting themselves into the passive position of the second fiddle. Why don't you write up a contract yourself, request all information that you need, do a quick background check, check with your bank in regard to payment options, have it signed and mailed back via certified mail with a trackable address? You are the seller.

VCampilongo
VCampilongo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Marie Claude Jan 10, 2011

the person is exactly the same! I have already answered that I asked for a PO and for another kind of payment in my previous email and he did not mention anything of these in his reply and that I was not accepting.

Thanks a lot eveybody! You all really helped me

VCampilongo
VCampilongo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nicole Jan 10, 2011

Hi Nicole,

yes you are right, I am the seller. But I do not really want to lose time with a "customer" who almost surely is a scammer. I do it when I haven't any doubt about the customer's liability and to speed up the process.

but Thanks for your advise

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A form of scams involving payment by check Jan 10, 2011

In a well know scam involving payment by check you receive a check by an amount larger than agreed and then you are asked to wire back the difference. The check is cleared by your bank but it is later found to be forged and you lose your money and get in trouble for handling a forged check. In this case the scammer is not interested in the translation, it is only an excuse for the fake payment.

You can read more about this (and feel free to contribute) in the ProZ.com wiki page on <
... See more
In a well know scam involving payment by check you receive a check by an amount larger than agreed and then you are asked to wire back the difference. The check is cleared by your bank but it is later found to be forged and you lose your money and get in trouble for handling a forged check. In this case the scammer is not interested in the translation, it is only an excuse for the fake payment.

You can read more about this (and feel free to contribute) in the ProZ.com wiki page on Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams.

And of course you should receive your PO, especially if you asked for it and got no response.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need an advise! Client wants to pay in three instalments by cheque

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »