Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How many icons/files do you have on your desktop right now?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Order Apr 30, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

15, fresh new OS, not cluttered yet, only 'a must' programs. Beautiful... so far...

Any particular reason not to place your favorite CAT tool at the first position?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:37
English to Russian
No need to do that so far Apr 30, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
Any particular reason not to place your favorite CAT tool at the first position?
I use Trados more often because agencies demand that more often. That is why Trados is the first piece of software I install. When I have more icons on my desktop, I move the memoQ icon to the rightmost position so that both Trados and memoQ are at the first position from opposite sides. However now I don't have so many icons that's why I don't bother to arrange them in a more practical way. It is practical enough for now.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Apr 30, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
I have a folder for each client (some have subfolders), a big folder with glossaries (269 files), other folders for administrative things (bills, contracts, accountant, lawyer, etc.)
Do you store your work files, bills and contracts on your desktop? What if your system crushes and you have to format volume C without prior notice?

Any one of the drives can crash -- the C drive isn't more likely to crash than any of the others, so any location for the files is as good as any other location.

This is what regular full-disk backups are for. I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect -- I have a 4 TB USB hard drive plugged into my computer permanently (I put it inside the box to save desk clutter, with the cable coming out of a hole) where I backup my entire C drive as well as the folders on my other drives that change regularly, every day. The paid version of Macrium Reflect allows incremental differential backups (the free version only non-incremental ones), so the daily backups are relatively quick.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Transparency Apr 30, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

I use Trados more often because agencies demand that more often. That is why Trados is the first piece of software I install. [/quote]

People claim that your favorite CAT tool's support for Trados is perfect, so why would you use Trados itself?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Function vs file format Apr 30, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
[CafeTran]'s support for Trados is perfect, so why would you use Trados itself?

Because each program works in a different way, and that is the advantage of each program. If Trados and CafeTran worked in exactly the same way and the only difference lay in the file formats that each one supported, then yes, if CafeTran can do what Trados does, why use Trados? But Trados has strengths that CafeTran doesn't, and vice versa. It's not all about file formats and workflows. Depending on the type of job, I may use MemoQ or Trados or WFP7 or WFP3. The file format matters a little, but it's not the main thing. Some things are just much better in WFP3 than in MemoQ, and some things are much better in MemoQ than in WFP3, for example. As you get to know each tool, you'll learn what kinds of jobs are most suited for which tool. But if you only ever use just one tool (e.g. CafeTran), then obviously it would make sense to always use that tool and never any of the others, because it is the one that you know best.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Why don't you call memoQ memoQ? =) Apr 30, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
People claim that your favorite CAT tool's support for Trados is perfect, so why would you use Trados itself?
I do really like memoQ and I used to work with it much and preferred it over Trados. It was my direct employer's tool. However my attitude and habits change from time to time. Now I don't use memoQ that often to put it as my preferred tool. After Feb24'22 I lost my two major clients who used memoQ. Now 90% of my work require Trados. Besides, SDL added some features that used to be unique to memoQ. The more important problem for me now is licensing. I own [or is it better to say 'owned' now?] a Freelance Plus 'perpetual' license for two activations. After I had to re-install Windows, I lost all my activated licenses and I can't simply ask their support to reset my activations. To be honest, I didn't even expect that I would be able to use my second Freelance Plus activation, but it somehow worked to my surprise. Now I am trying to recover my other licenses like TMX Editor by Maxprograms, Fluency Now by Western Standard, etc. Some developers (like TranslateCAD for example) simply reset my license and gave a new one to me. Others have not replied yet. That is why now I don't have many options to choose from. I have to use what works for me.

[Edited at 2023-04-30 13:24 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Exactly Apr 30, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Some things are just much better in WFP3 than in MemoQ, and some things are much better in MemoQ
This is another reason indeed. I had a client who worked with lockits in Excel. Every file had several worksheets, and every worksheet could have different columns for the source and target languages. memoQ was just great to select specific columns for translation. Even when SDL implemented their Bilingual Excel solution, it still couldn't do what memoQ could (individually select specific columns in different sheets). I don't know if Trados 2022 can do it, but I feel like it can't.

[Edited at 2023-04-30 13:33 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Operating System Apr 30, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:
Is that instantOS?

It’s BalenciagaOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpVD24fBI7g

Joking aside, nah. It’s just river with yambar. I’ve been exclusively on Wayland for probably almost two months now. The OS itself is just plain Arch. I don't typically use anything other than the four horsemen of Linux distros (Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, and Arch) as my daily driver. Though I must admit, I like Gentoo as a concept. Alas, it has proven itself to be quite a high-maintenance meta-distro to be practical.

Metin Demirel

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Hahaha Apr 30, 2023

This time I wasn’t talking about CT, Samuel

Stepan’s pet tool starts with an M.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:
[CafeTran]'s support for Trados is perfect, so why would you use Trados itself?

Because each program works in a different way, and that is the advantage of each program. If Trados and CafeTran worked in exactly the same way and the only difference lay in the file formats that each one supported, then yes, if CafeTran can do what Trados does, why use Trados? But Trados has strengths that CafeTran doesn't, and vice versa. It's not all about file formats and workflows. Depending on the type of job, I may use MemoQ or Trados or WFP7 or WFP3. The file format matters a little, but it's not the main thing. Some things are just much better in WFP3 than in MemoQ, and some things are much better in MemoQ than in WFP3, for example. As you get to know each tool, you'll learn what kinds of jobs are most suited for which tool. But if you only ever use just one tool (e.g. CafeTran), then obviously it would make sense to always use that tool and never any of the others, because it is the one that you know best.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Aha Apr 30, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Now I don't use memoQ that often to put it as my preferred tool.

Sorry, I missed that memo.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Can't agree Apr 30, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Any one of the drives can crash -- the C drive isn't more likely to crash than any of the others...
I don't use any specific AV for years now, except Windows Defender. I simply follow some Internet hygiene rules and that works fine for me. However once per two or three years even my strict following the rules fails and something goes wrong. I have never seen that my volume D caused any troubles to me. And I never had to format volume D. I only format volume C, while disk D remains intact with all the data in place. If I had my work files on disk C, I would loose them all long time ago.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Stepan May 1, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
I have a folder for each client (some have subfolders), a big folder with glossaries (269 files), other folders for administrative things (bills, contracts, accountant, lawyer, etc.)
Do you store your work files, bills and contracts on your desktop? What if your system crushes and you have to format volume C without prior notice?

Never had a problem, I backup regularly and I have an excellent IT service provider…

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
as few as possible May 1, 2023

I keep a clean desktop with as few icons as possible. WIth the MacOS you can just click anywhere on anything and the computer will know which application to open. You don't need to carry all that information in your brain.

The only things I keep on my desktop are there to annoy me, as reminders for things I need to do. None of them are applications. They're all files, or aliases to files.

[Edited at 2023-05-01 21:52 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Loose? May 1, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

, I would loose them .

Yes- set them free to run happily and gambol like newborn spring lambs! Don't keep them tied up!

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
12 May 2, 2023

I have an icon for each program I use frequently, one for the current jobs and one for the jobs completed in that month (the latter is useful for invoicing at the end of the month)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many icons/files do you have on your desktop right now?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »