Compatibility across memoQ versions (desktop/server)
Thread poster: Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Sep 15, 2023

Dear Colleagues with experience in memoQ client server projects:

I would appreciate your input regarding my current dilemma (apologies for the long post)
I have my paid memoQ license & serial # for memoQ desktop client Translator Pro and have kept it up-to-date. Currently I use version 10.2.
A long-standing, valued client of mine now wants me to join their team working on their memoQ server projects; their version is 9.12. I just received my login credentials and their g
... See more
Dear Colleagues with experience in memoQ client server projects:

I would appreciate your input regarding my current dilemma (apologies for the long post)
I have my paid memoQ license & serial # for memoQ desktop client Translator Pro and have kept it up-to-date. Currently I use version 10.2.
A long-standing, valued client of mine now wants me to join their team working on their memoQ server projects; their version is 9.12. I just received my login credentials and their guide, in which the first requirement is that I, too, have to have version 9.12 on my system. I have reached out to memoQ Support, and they have provided the following guidance:

"For the purposes of translation, we guarantee compatibility for one major version “ahead” and “behind”: anyone using memoQ 9.x translator pro must be able to translate projects on memoQ server 8.x or memoQ TMS 10.x. Similarly, *memoQ 10.x translator pro works with memoQ server 9.x* and will work with memoQ TMS 11.x.
*You can have multiple versions of memoQ desktop clients installed on your computer*."

So now I have to decide which of these 2 options is less desirable:
a) Using my own software to access the client's memoQ server: In the past, I have had serious issues stemming from completing memoQ server projects on a client server. My own memoQ software kept giving me error messages afterwards, and I have had multiple emails exchanged with memoQ Support each time to resolve this. I had to take numerous steps just to stop my software from wanting to login to the old client server again. (I have since stopped working with that client.)
b) Installing a second version of the same software: This would not only be an additional load on my system but would also carry a disadvantage: I will not have access to my own extensive TM and TB that I have slowly built for myself over the years.

So, I am reaching out to our memoQ-user translator community for help to decide. I really want to keep working with this client and get involved in server projects... What would you do?
Thank you in advance for your input and advice!

Ildikó
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:01
Danish to English
+ ...
No general problem with servers Sep 16, 2023

I work with memoQ servers all the time. There is no problem. I have version 10.3.10 right now, and I guess some clients may still be using 9.x servers. It's not a problem. I did encounter problems many years ago while using v7 with a v8.x server, but this is not relevant today. Some clients mistakenly think you have to use exactly the same version as their server, but you can just ignore that and rely on the version compatibility policy memoQ support mentioned.

Some comments:
... See more
I work with memoQ servers all the time. There is no problem. I have version 10.3.10 right now, and I guess some clients may still be using 9.x servers. It's not a problem. I did encounter problems many years ago while using v7 with a v8.x server, but this is not relevant today. Some clients mistakenly think you have to use exactly the same version as their server, but you can just ignore that and rely on the version compatibility policy memoQ support mentioned.

Some comments:

You said: 'Using my own software to access the client's memoQ server.'

No matter which version you install and use, it's still your own software.

You said: 'I had to take numerous steps just to stop my software from wanting to login to the old client server again.'

You haven't explained anything about an 'old server'. If a set of server credentials are no longer needed, you can tell memoQ to forget them from within a project: Project tab > memoQ TMS > Manage logins. It's a bit hidden away.

You said: 'Installing a second version of the same software: This would not only be an additional load on my system but would also carry a disadvantage: I will not have access to my own extensive TM and TB that I have slowly built for myself over the years.'

Yes, you would. Except if you have started using the TM+ format, in which case you could export it and create a classic TM.

But you are worrying too much. Just use your up-to-date version to check out projects from their server, and you'll be fine. No need to discuss it with them, as they are clearly ill informed about version compatibility. You'll just worry them.
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 17, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Thank you very much, Thomas! You have helped me find the best way to proceed.

You haven't explained anything about an 'old server'. If a set of server credentials are no longer needed, you can tell memoQ to forget them from within a project: Project tab > memoQ TMS > Manage logins. It's a bit hidden away.

This simple solution did not stop the error messages from popping up periodically. Fortunately, memoQ Support kept offering various solutions until the issue was finally resolved.

But you are worrying too much. Just use your up-to-date version to check out projects from their server, and you'll be fine. No need to discuss it with them, as they are clearly ill informed about version compatibility. You'll just worry them.

I have already informed my client, as I believe they can also benefit from better understanding version compatibility.

Thanks again,
Ildikó

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility across memoQ versions (desktop/server)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »