Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: The most infuriating word to translate from your source language(s)
Thread poster: Deborah do Carmo
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
Italian to English
+ ...
Valorizzare Jul 26, 2007

It's on the list of MIRIAMs mentioned by Giles, and (along with intervento, also on the list) it's my most-loathed word in Italian (at least when I have to translate the damn thing!)

It means, more or less:

to develop
to increase the value of
to increase the prestige of
enhance the status of
increase the standing of
enhance the image of
to value
(waste) to recover
set value on
enhance
harness
adding or ma
... See more
It's on the list of MIRIAMs mentioned by Giles, and (along with intervento, also on the list) it's my most-loathed word in Italian (at least when I have to translate the damn thing!)

It means, more or less:

to develop
to increase the value of
enhance the status of
increase the standing of
enhance the image of
to value
(waste) to recover
set value on
enhance
harness
adding or maximizing value
realize
make the most of

Actually, it means all of those and then some. It's a total bugger.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Run Jul 26, 2007

and many other English words.
Heinrich

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ditto in PT - valorizar Jul 26, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

It means, more or less:

to develop
to increase the value of
enhance the status of
increase the standing of
enhance the image of
to value
(waste) to recover
set value on
enhance
harness
adding or maximizing value
realize
make the most of

.... and depending how it's used bugger is the understatement of the year

Lovely list of possible solutions, I'm sure many Romance language translators will benefit from it. Thanks for sharing !

Thanks Giles too - again many similar terms on your list crop up in PT

[Edited at 2007-07-26 09:32]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I can't take credit for it Jul 26, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

.... and depending how it's used bugger is the understatement of the year

Lovely list of possible solutions, I'm sure many Romance language translators will benefit from it. Thanks for sharing !

Thanks Giles too - again many similar terms on your list crop up in PT

Apart from the last definition, which I added myself, the list is lifted straight from Giles' link, which I've been using for a couple of years and is invaluable.

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
In Dutch.. Jul 26, 2007

'zaak/zaken' can be a real pain sometimes..

Others include 'verrekening' , 'realiseren'...

I'm sure i'll think of more

[Edited at 2007-07-26 10:25]

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:34
English to Latvian
+ ...
... Jul 26, 2007

it seems that "performance" is a real global problem

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Valoriser Jul 26, 2007

Snap - but in French! "Valoriser" is just one of those words which French authors love and it always seems to mean something slightly different - it's the bane of my life! I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off-hand

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THAT word ... Jul 26, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

Snap - but in French! "Valoriser" is just one of those words which French authors love and it always seems to mean something slightly different - it's the bane of my life! I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off-hand

So we just need a Spanish to English (and possibly a Romanian to English) colleague now to confirm and this word, in its different variants, will go down in history as one of the most loathed in all the Romance languages

Will be interesting to see which others overlap.

[Edited at 2007-07-26 12:27]

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
"Ständig" Jul 26, 2007

is one of the German "words" that are hard to translate into English...

It can be continous(ly), continual(ly) permanent(ly), notorious, constant(ly), ongoing, always, all the time, to name just a few...

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A slightly different problem Jul 26, 2007

This one is a "Virillom"... a Very Irritating Illogical Mannerism

The Hungarian word "illetve" means: to be precise, or rather, and/or (together, as it is written here), concerning, respectively.

For some unfathomable reason, the word became fashionable.

My impression is, that people wanting to sound more distinguished but don't know any better, got into the habit of using it at every opportunity, particularly in official documents. Some sentences contain
... See more
This one is a "Virillom"... a Very Irritating Illogical Mannerism

The Hungarian word "illetve" means: to be precise, or rather, and/or (together, as it is written here), concerning, respectively.

For some unfathomable reason, the word became fashionable.

My impression is, that people wanting to sound more distinguished but don't know any better, got into the habit of using it at every opportunity, particularly in official documents. Some sentences contain it two or three times, because they use it instead of "and" and equally, instead of "or", but hardly ever for what it really means.

Alternately, I heard it on a TV cookery demonstration.
It sounds exactly like this: "Add a little salt and respectively pepper." I beg your pardon!
I often hear meteorological reports, where every other word is "illetve", and it is painful to listen to.

In translation the difficulty is to decide what the writer actually means, is it "respectively", could it be "or"; does it means "and", (that is usually the case), or do they actually mean and/or?
If it is a simple "and", why the h*** cannot they write AND?

It really makes me furious, and I frequently have to write a footnote or sometimes even a disclaimer to cover my back.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:34
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More about "constipado" Jul 26, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

In Spanish: suffering from a cold.
In English & French (constipated, constipé) unable to defecate

This is doubly challenging since the English/French definition is also the most common meaning of "constipado" in certain Spanish-speaking countries, so you have to figure out which meaning is intended through context.

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
There are a lot of them in German Jul 26, 2007

One that annoys me is "gezielt" - that's what cropping up in my present translation. I'm almost talking to the word, saying "not you again".

Another word foe is:

"dabei" - it has so many different meanings and it really isn't that important as a word

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 23:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Due diligence Jul 26, 2007

It sounds so incredibly stupid in Russian... Unless adressed to the reform school students:-)

Re perevodchik:

In proper Russian it takes 2 words, literally "oral translator" and "written translator" but in generic text, even in the media when you need to say "there have been 3 perevodchik(a)" assigned to the conference", president brought his own perevodchik etc.", you won't add a specification, it is sort of assumed.

We have our own jargon - ustnik (from
... See more
It sounds so incredibly stupid in Russian... Unless adressed to the reform school students:-)

Re perevodchik:

In proper Russian it takes 2 words, literally "oral translator" and "written translator" but in generic text, even in the media when you need to say "there have been 3 perevodchik(a)" assigned to the conference", president brought his own perevodchik etc.", you won't add a specification, it is sort of assumed.

We have our own jargon - ustnik (from ustny - oral), syncronist for simo-trained, and just perevodchik, whom or about whom you then ask if h/h does one, or another, or both.

I understand that "written" sounds awkward but in this particular case the same adjective is used in Russian to describe a written text and someone who does (written) translation.

[Edited at 2007-07-26 13:14]
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Jeweils Jul 26, 2007

... nearly always gets me scratching my head (a little like "dabei" above)
D

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Travaux - another headache Jul 26, 2007

Hilde Granlund wrote:

is another headache-inducer, that's right.

Would you believe - for me "travaux" (or "obras") and "métier" give me headaches - yes, of course, I know what they *mean*, but referring to construction, it sounds wrong to me to call them "works" and "work" doesn't convey the magnitude. I sometimes resort to "project" and "operations". And "métier" - trade? not exactly "profession" - oh hell!
At the moment I'm having a problem with "bourgeois" too. The word exists in English, of course, but with all sorts of pejorative overtones - townspeople, perhaps? Same with "paysan" - we don't (did we ever?) have peasants in England - it conveys Morris dancing and general tweeness. Same with "artisanal" - craft-related? Oh, hell again ...
Love,
Jenny.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The most infuriating word to translate from your source language(s)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »