mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:45
Spanish
+ ...
Jun 21, 2008

Copied:

EU Directive No. 456179 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Buried in the new (old and defunct!) Lisbon Treaty is the following provision in anticipation of GB joining the Euro:

In order to meet the conditions for joining the Single European
currency, all citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland must be made aware that the phrase 'Spending a Penny'
is not to be used after 31st December 2009.

From this
... See more
Copied:

EU Directive No. 456179 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Buried in the new (old and defunct!) Lisbon Treaty is the following provision in anticipation of GB joining the Euro:

In order to meet the conditions for joining the Single European
currency, all citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland must be made aware that the phrase 'Spending a Penny'
is not to be used after 31st December 2009.

From this date, the correct terminology will be: 'Euronating'.

Not a lot of people know that!

Good weekend all!

Mariana
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hooray for the Irish! Jun 21, 2008

No wonder the Irish voted NO!
Jenny

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:45
German to English
+ ...
Too good to be true ... Jun 21, 2008

... and sure enough, it isn't.

I googled for the directive number, and got 39 hits from various joke sites. The earliest seems to be from 2006.

The format of the number is not right for the real EU anyway - the real numbers of directives generally have the format YYYY/##/EC or YY/##/EC (the order of the elements and the number of digits may vary, but this is basically the pattern).
E.g. 2000/43/EC of 29 June 2000 (right to equal treatment irrespective of race & et
... See more

I googled for the directive number, and got 39 hits from various joke sites. The earliest seems to be from 2006.

The format of the number is not right for the real EU anyway - the real numbers of directives generally have the format YYYY/##/EC or YY/##/EC (the order of the elements and the number of digits may vary, but this is basically the pattern).
E.g. 2000/43/EC of 29 June 2000 (right to equal treatment irrespective of race & ethnic origin).

However, it's a lovely story, so I'm glad that Mariana posted it.
But it's in the same league as the story that the EU wants to ban April Fools Day (seen in the SUN newspaper in 2005 - anyone care to guess the date?).
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Guess the date... Jun 21, 2008

But it's in the same league as the story that the EU wants to ban April Fools Day (seen in the SUN newspaper in 2005 - anyone care to guess the date?).

Given The Sun's penchant for 'world exclusives', I'd say it was the 31st of March. Or earlier.

Cheers.

mariana24
mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:45
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Joke it is Jun 21, 2008

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

E.g. 2000/43/EC of 29 June 2000 (right to equal treatment irrespective of race & ethnic origin).

However, it's a lovely story, so I'm glad that Mariana posted it.

Of course it's a joke, Victor, but I also thought it was worth it!

Cheers.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:45
German to English
+ ...
Close Jun 21, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:
Given The Sun's penchant for 'world exclusives', I'd say it was the 31st of March. Or earlier.

Nope, missed it. But only by one day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please take into account...for translation purposes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »