Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]
What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Update: 4903 and counting Dec 12, 2012

Magic number to reach 5000 by Christmas: 97

To get there would require an average of just over 8 posts a day over the next 12 days, a very feasible prospect indeed, especially considering the current blistering pace.

The only factor that clouds the picture is the possibility of one or two days of forced idleness after reaching the weekly limit of 60--until the Cornucopia of succor and good cheer replenishes itself to be exploited anew....

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:20
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moderators: WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS -so far? Dec 12, 2012

I (plus some other posters I believe) think that the Kudoz system is well and truly abused by a number of professionals who abuse it by calling on the knowledgeable answerers as if they were a dictionary for the proper questions and on the not-so-knowledgeable ones for the inane questions, who then can collect kudoz points and go up the ladder without, let's say, much effort.

This is a double abuse and the end result is that:

Some so-called translators ar
... See more
I (plus some other posters I believe) think that the Kudoz system is well and truly abused by a number of professionals who abuse it by calling on the knowledgeable answerers as if they were a dictionary for the proper questions and on the not-so-knowledgeable ones for the inane questions, who then can collect kudoz points and go up the ladder without, let's say, much effort.

This is a double abuse and the end result is that:

Some so-called translators are in fact getting their job for free (and I am afraid that, were not for this "open loop" here they could not even work; that is, the system allows a "word collector" to say that he/she is a translator while, without this, he/she could NOT be in the market.

Some so-called answerers can climb up the ladder through answering inane questions -so climbing beyond their level of competence.

I may be wrong, but I would like to be shown that I am -with proper reasoning.

Of course, this thread can be termed as a "periodic rant" by some posters who keep tabs in the abuse -at about two posts per month, this does not make any ripple, does it?.

However -again in my view- this degrades the site, as it allows substandard members to keep going and -again- I invite you to prove satisfactorily that I am wrong.

There is a possible remedy, at least for the "askers" side, and I have pointed it out about two months ago (Oct., 26th): This would take about twenty minutes time for any developer to implement, so there is no difficulty whatsoever -and if the askers at last reduce the questions, the answerers will not answer them, so it would work both ways.

What do you think?. Yes, I know the rules -but if the rules are being taken at face value to subvert the real purpose of the exercise, then they might be changed in the interests of bolstering the quality of the Kudoz system?. Besides which, no notice needs to be given -that I can think of- for blocking the display of the number of questions asked/answered for every member -and it does not even bend or otherwise interfere with ANY rule.

Would any of you please let us know the site position about the affair, as well as whether we the "ranters" deserve any answer?

Thanks indeed
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 10:20
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com guiding principles outline how this works Dec 12, 2012

The "guiding principles", a short document that outlines the spirit and function of not just the term help system but the entire site, may be a useful reference when looking at this subject: http://www.proz.com/about/cornerstones/

There are currently no plans to further restrict asking or answering activity in the KudoZ term help system, and the "guiding principles" document shows the
... See more
The "guiding principles", a short document that outlines the spirit and function of not just the term help system but the entire site, may be a useful reference when looking at this subject: http://www.proz.com/about/cornerstones/

There are currently no plans to further restrict asking or answering activity in the KudoZ term help system, and the "guiding principles" document shows the thinking behind that decision. Likewise, each user is in control of what they choose to show or not show in their profile.

Unfortunately, a good number of the posts in this thread seem to be limited to question-counting on a specific asker. I'm going to end this thread here. Thanks for your understanding.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »