Does anyone know more sites like Gengo that offer online translation tests?
Thread poster: Nowicka
Nowicka
Nowicka
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2015

Hello I am an established translator who wants to get into work.

I like the idea of sites like gengo.com where if you pass the test on the site you get given work.

Does anyone know of any other sites like gengo.com where youc an pass tests and get a job?

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
English to French
+ ...
Genco Oct 16, 2015

Have you seriously ever got work from them? What they seem to offer is 6, 7, 10 words to translate. I do not call that work and I do not think that is serious. And it seems that you cannot unsubscribe from them.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seriously? Oct 16, 2015

Who is going to set and check your translation? Will they have any idea what they're doing? How much will you be paid when they advertise $.05 per word to their clients? $.03 maximum - if you're lucky. And I wonder why they say this "*Please note that we do not translate legal, medical or safety-critical content." Could it just be that they know perfectly well the translation is likely to be rubbish?

You don't have to be "given work" if you're a professional. You can provide your se
... See more
Who is going to set and check your translation? Will they have any idea what they're doing? How much will you be paid when they advertise $.05 per word to their clients? $.03 maximum - if you're lucky. And I wonder why they say this "*Please note that we do not translate legal, medical or safety-critical content." Could it just be that they know perfectly well the translation is likely to be rubbish?

You don't have to be "given work" if you're a professional. You can provide your services to companies who have need of them, for sensible rates.
Collapse

ShantamShivam

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:53
Italian to English
Apply to agencies Oct 16, 2015

Nowicka wrote:

pass tests and get a job

Sounds like some agencies!!!

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:53
French to English
Apply to agencies Oct 17, 2015

That's how most agencies operate. They give you a test of about 300 words and if you pass, they (presumably) give you work. It's a slow process but running a business takes time to set up, market, and acquire clients. That's also more of a long-term strategy than sites like that with such low job offers.

I wrote an article this week about getting work, actually, so if you're open to other options for obtaining new work, it might be
... See more
That's how most agencies operate. They give you a test of about 300 words and if you pass, they (presumably) give you work. It's a slow process but running a business takes time to set up, market, and acquire clients. That's also more of a long-term strategy than sites like that with such low job offers.

I wrote an article this week about getting work, actually, so if you're open to other options for obtaining new work, it might be a good read. http://successbyrx.com/2015/10/15/5-winning-strategies-for-getting-work/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know more sites like Gengo that offer online translation tests?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »