i need a favour from a Dutch/Flemish speaker (ideally a football fan!)
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2002

Hi there folks

This is a slightly odd one. I am doing an article on a Yugoslav player who once played for Royal Antwerp (and my team Arsenal) in the mid 1980s. His name - Vladimir Petrovic.

Someone mentioned to me that he was tarnished by an alleged fur coat smuggling operation organised by some of the other players at Antwerp. The ringleader was, allegedly another Yugoslav - Ratko Svilar, the goalkeeper, and maybe a Belgian player called Goossens.

... See more
Hi there folks

This is a slightly odd one. I am doing an article on a Yugoslav player who once played for Royal Antwerp (and my team Arsenal) in the mid 1980s. His name - Vladimir Petrovic.

Someone mentioned to me that he was tarnished by an alleged fur coat smuggling operation organised by some of the other players at Antwerp. The ringleader was, allegedly another Yugoslav - Ratko Svilar, the goalkeeper, and maybe a Belgian player called Goossens.

I can find no information about this on the net (but am slightly hampered by the fact that I speak neither Flemish nor Dutch). I speak Russian so can just about decipher the meaning of Serbo-Croat texts, but that isn\'t helping in this case...

... so - here\'s the favour: Would anyone here be able to do a search (using google or any other decent search engines) using the key words Svilar, Antwerp, fur (and maybe Goosens and Petrovic) and see if there are any relevant hits... and without wasting too much of your own time, perhaps even give me the gist of what was said.

I cannot afford to pay anyone, it would have to be done in the name of solidarity and curiousity... but if you ever needed a favour involving Russian, you\'d know who to ask.

Alternatively if anyone here just happens to remember this case or knows where I can find reports online - then that would be fantastic!

Cheers

Dan
Collapse

Elisabeth Ghysels
Elisabeth Ghysels
Local time: 18:54
German to English
+ ...
sorry, no success, so far Dec 13, 2002

Didn\'t find anything yet (not even when simply putting the three names together as keywords, except for purely soccer related hit\'s); and I don\'t remember having heard something of that kind. Even without being a real soccer fan, Svilar really is so well known in Belgium that I should remember something like that.

Nevertheless, I\'ll keep my eyes open.

greetings,

Nikolaus

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nikolaus Dec 13, 2002

Appreciated. There was DEFINITELY a scandal. Another question: Why is Svilar so well known? No disrespect to Royal Antwerp or their fans, but he was a goalkeeper for one of Belgian\'s lesser sides over 10 years ago. There must have been something unusual about him??? Can you tell me more?

Dan

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
No luck Dec 14, 2002

I tried the combinations you suggested and others too (mainly in Dutch), but nothing came up.

Sorry!

Elisabeth Ghysels
Elisabeth Ghysels
German to English
+ ...
goalkeepers Dec 14, 2002

Well, I\'ve never thought of it, but it looks like goalkeepers very often are the real center of a team, more so than the strikers; look at Bayern München and the German national team. May be it\'s different in Brazil.

Anyway, probably you had hoped that your question might pull something hidden out of the deepest corners of my memory; sorry to disappoint (while the bribe scandal of Standard Liege and Waterschei, with Erik Gerets (now training Kaiserslautern) (which happend 1982, and
... See more
Well, I\'ve never thought of it, but it looks like goalkeepers very often are the real center of a team, more so than the strikers; look at Bayern München and the German national team. May be it\'s different in Brazil.

Anyway, probably you had hoped that your question might pull something hidden out of the deepest corners of my memory; sorry to disappoint (while the bribe scandal of Standard Liege and Waterschei, with Erik Gerets (now training Kaiserslautern) (which happend 1982, and Waterschei being much less important than Antwerp) is fresh in my memory; somehow Svilar and co. must have succeded in keeping this well hidden from the main press.

Greetings,

Nikolaus
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
another resource Dec 14, 2002

I can\'t help directly, but can only offer another resource in the shape of the newsgroup be.sport.football*. I hope it\'s of some use.

* The link will open your default newsreader program and will add be.sport.football to your list of subscribed groups.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-14 23:58 ]

Cynthia Brals-Rud
Cynthia Brals-Rud  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing Dec 18, 2002

Hi Dan,

I also looked for any article in French and/or Spanish. No luck. All I get is his background information.

Good luck!

Cynthia

Marc Kuypers (X)
Marc Kuypers (X)
Russian to Dutch
+ ...
Ratko Svilar Jan 12, 2003

Hello Dan,

I live in Antwerp and I do remember this scandal with Svilar. The funny thing is he was a very popular goal keeper in FC Antwerp firstly because he was good but the remarkable thing about him was that he played in the first team until he was fourty or even older. Of course he denied all allegations and claimed he had been set up. I do seem to remember that Goossens was also involved but he did have a criminal past while Svilar didn\'t. Anyway, let me know if you\'re stil
... See more
Hello Dan,

I live in Antwerp and I do remember this scandal with Svilar. The funny thing is he was a very popular goal keeper in FC Antwerp firstly because he was good but the remarkable thing about him was that he played in the first team until he was fourty or even older. Of course he denied all allegations and claimed he had been set up. I do seem to remember that Goossens was also involved but he did have a criminal past while Svilar didn\'t. Anyway, let me know if you\'re still interested then I\'ll try to find out more details because I can only remember the general story, and get back to you.

Cheers

Marc

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-12 15:59]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

i need a favour from a Dutch/Flemish speaker (ideally a football fan!)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »