Thread poster: John-Paul Greco
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Asking the impossible Dec 4, 2021

Just echoing what has already been said, only you can assess a text and know whether it is something you can or want to do, and how long it will take you, and whether you have time, and what you want to be paid for it.

Your admin assistant would be yet another person in the chain, creating even more admin.

Quoting and billing really don’t take long once you get into a routine. My prices are fixed so I rarely give quotes anyway.

All I ever do really is sa
... See more
Just echoing what has already been said, only you can assess a text and know whether it is something you can or want to do, and how long it will take you, and whether you have time, and what you want to be paid for it.

Your admin assistant would be yet another person in the chain, creating even more admin.

Quoting and billing really don’t take long once you get into a routine. My prices are fixed so I rarely give quotes anyway.

All I ever do really is say yes I can do it or no I can’t, here it comes, and here’s a bill.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Rachel Waddington
Tina Vonhof (X)
Vi Pukite

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The business side... Dec 5, 2021

We are all different and we love different things! I love translating and researching, but for things like accounting and taxes, I have an accountant. However, I do my own invoicing and I love it: it means money will be coming my way (I haven’t had a single non-payment issue for a long time)…

Rachel Waddington

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Like it Dec 5, 2021

Apart from translating and researching, I also enjoy communicating with the clients - especially now with covid it's often the only personal contact I have in a day - and I think of administration as part of the job. But I can see that if you're really busy, you would want to hand that part over to someone else.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:14
French to English
. Dec 6, 2021

If you don't like dealing with the business side, you should perhaps seek work as an in-house translator. You negotiate your salary, sign your contract and then you only need assess job feasibility in terms of whether you're capable and have time, without negotiating the price of each job. Of course, it's not necessarily easy to find part-time work, that could be fitted in around your other job.
I worked in-house for a long time, thinking I would hate to deal with the business side. Howev
... See more
If you don't like dealing with the business side, you should perhaps seek work as an in-house translator. You negotiate your salary, sign your contract and then you only need assess job feasibility in terms of whether you're capable and have time, without negotiating the price of each job. Of course, it's not necessarily easy to find part-time work, that could be fitted in around your other job.
I worked in-house for a long time, thinking I would hate to deal with the business side. However, it turns out that the money I can earn freelancing is more than what my boss was prepared to pay for me, and it really doesn't take much longer to tell a client that I can do it for this rate and this deadline, than to tell the project manager colleague that I can do it for this deadline.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Marjolein Snippe
Josephine Cassar

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Facepalm Dec 6, 2021

It beats me how you can run a translating business without taking an interest in the business.

images

Christopher Schröder
Adieu

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working part time as a freelancer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »