Dustin Langan
Dustin Langan  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2003

TaHiiya,

I am very interested in accepting larger projects in Arabic to English and French to English translation, and I wonder if any of you folks can recommend any software that would help me. I currently have a nice computer with Windows 98, and although I understand that Windows XP offers better multilingual support, I cannot afford to upgrade my OS and purchase a CAT tool at the same time.

I understand that Sakhr has an interesting p
... See more

TaHiiya,

I am very interested in accepting larger projects in Arabic to English and French to English translation, and I wonder if any of you folks can recommend any software that would help me. I currently have a nice computer with Windows 98, and although I understand that Windows XP offers better multilingual support, I cannot afford to upgrade my OS and purchase a CAT tool at the same time.

I understand that Sakhr has an interesting product line for Arabic>English translation, and that CIMOS has programs in French>English and Arabic>English, but I don\'t see any trilingual programs out there. What would be the best use of my limited money?

Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Collapse

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
May be Trados, but it's expensive Feb 21, 2003

Hi Dlangan,

I can\'t help you very much, since I\'m not really hooked to CAT tools, although I use Trados 55 freelance and Systran (no arabic interface). You should simply visit Trados.com. It\'s expensive 1200 usd. They have sometimes special offers, for example until 18 Feb. it was possible to have it in the language Fair in Paris (France) for 500 usd.

have a look also at: www.termseek.inc or com I don\'t
... See more
Hi Dlangan,

I can\'t help you very much, since I\'m not really hooked to CAT tools, although I use Trados 55 freelance and Systran (no arabic interface). You should simply visit Trados.com. It\'s expensive 1200 usd. They have sometimes special offers, for example until 18 Feb. it was possible to have it in the language Fair in Paris (France) for 500 usd.

have a look also at: www.termseek.inc or com I don\'t remember. I think they\'re preparing the arabic Interface, but I don\'t know the value of their product.

Surf the internet and ask clearly to the CAT tools producers if they have the Arabic interface. Once they do, try the product...

And wait for other pros to react!

Taheeyati

Ouadoud
Collapse

Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Trados is the best choice Feb 24, 2003

I agree with Ouadoud about Trados. The Freelance version is about $500. But to use Trados for Arabic you need to upgrade to Windows 2000+ because it won\'t work with Windows 98. As for Sakr, it works only with Arabic Windows limiting the use of your PC. Also it might be more expensive than Trados.

Good Luck.

Dustin Langan
Spain
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 24, 2003

Thank you for your help. I have been doing some research on this matter and I think you guys may be right. And by the way, I discovered that the Sakhr workbench costs $2000: nothing to sneeze at.

By the way, do you know of a good site that sells specialized Arabic-English CD Rom dictionaries?

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
Important to Dlangan Feb 24, 2003

In proz.com site, that\'s to say right here. Under Miscellaneous, you can see there\'s a CAT Tool Center, have a look there, it\'s almost perfect.

Good luck

yacine
yacine  Identity Verified
Arabic to French
+ ...
CD Feb 25, 2003

This might help you :

George N. Hallak

AramediA Group

761 Adams Street

Boston, MA 02122 USA

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.aramedia.com

http://www.arabicsoftware.net

T 617-825-3044 F 617-265-9648

or you can subscribe to
... See more
This might help you :

George N. Hallak

AramediA Group

761 Adams Street

Boston, MA 02122 USA

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.aramedia.com

http://www.arabicsoftware.net

T 617-825-3044 F 617-265-9648

or you can subscribe to Arabicsoftware :

Post message: [email protected]

Subscribe: [email protected]

Unsubscribe: [email protected]

List owner: [email protected]

Yacine

Collapse

Dustin Langan
Spain
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Feb 26, 2003

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools, software recommendations for Arabic>English

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »