Translation software
Inițiatorul discuției: latime
latime
latime
din engleză în spaniolă
Jun 14, 2006

Can anyone tell me about Systran it seems a bit expensive just getting into the document translation and interpreting bus...

Timothy Gregory
Timothy Gregory  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
din arabă în engleză
Not the best idea Jun 14, 2006

I don't want to jump straight in and say something negative, however... Machine translation is not worth the money and does not offer anything of substance to a professional translator. It takes more time and effort to "clean up" the output of machine translation than to do the tanslation from scratch.

If you are going to be working from electronic texts I would recommend using a translation memory application (Trados, StarTransit, Deja Vu, etc) rather than MT.

duraid
duraid
Australia
Local time: 09:39
din arabă în engleză
+ ...
Poor One Jun 15, 2006

I have tried it in Arabic-English and English-Arabic translation and it turned to be too poor and doesn’t worth to be called a translation software. It could be suitable for those who translate simple sentences but it definitely of no use for professional translators.

[Edited at 2006-06-15 02:34]

Milad Mokhtari
Milad Mokhtari  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 01:39
din italiană în arabă
+ ...
Not fit for professional translation Jun 16, 2006

It's not a software for professional translation. It's rather a word by word (funny) translation software.
You can begin with wordfast (which is partially a shareware), then you can merge to Trados, déjà Vu…etc

[Edited at 2006-06-16 17:35]

libhf
libhf
Statele Unite
Local time: 19:39
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
I agree Jul 17, 2006

When I started translating I bought a similar product. I used it once, only to find out that it was a total waste of time. It is ok if you are translating very simple sentences.

Sometimes it gets to be funny too. Look at the following line:

"System requirements: MS Windows ..." The machine translator read it as:

"nizam mutatallibat: al-anisah nawafidh ..."

Hikmat

Milad M wrote:

It's not a software for professional translation. It's rather a word by word (funny) translation software.
You can begin with wordfast (which is partially a shareware), then you can merge to Trados, déjà Vu…etc

[Edited at 2006-06-16 17:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »