About bilingual dictionaries of collocations & idioms .
Thread poster: Naela (X)
Naela (X)
Naela (X)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2003

Hello everyone

I want recommendations for the best english-english dictionary of collocation, and i also want to know if it is available in middle east region.

the second thing is that i want to know if there are any english-arabic or arabic-english dictionaries of idioms.

last,about COBUILD 2001, is it just another print of COBUILD 98 or a new one?

best regards.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 17:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
Context and clarification, please... Aug 15, 2003

Greetings... taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Kindly provide some ccontext or otherwise clarify what is meant by that term "collocation?"

There are several (mostly old) bilingual dictionaries available about proverbs and colloquialisms available, but they usually refer to a single country (i.e., Egypt, Syria, Jordan/Palestine or Morocco) wherein the particular compiler / author spent time on field research.

Let me know more about your research interests, and I
... See more
Greetings... taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Kindly provide some ccontext or otherwise clarify what is meant by that term "collocation?"

There are several (mostly old) bilingual dictionaries available about proverbs and colloquialisms available, but they usually refer to a single country (i.e., Egypt, Syria, Jordan/Palestine or Morocco) wherein the particular compiler / author spent time on field research.

Let me know more about your research interests, and I can probably refer you to some suitable references. Of those, the older and out-of-print items should be available via interlibrary search and loan provided at a good public or university library near you.

Perhaps other subscribers can offer some suggestions.

HTH. Good luck.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Collapse

Naela (X)
Naela (X)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much Aug 20, 2003

Hello

thanks for trying to help me, and sorry for not replaying instantly, i was sick.

collocation is the company that a word typically keep with other words, mostly an adjective and a noun, e.g. "heavy tea", we cannot substitute heavy for a synonym, e.g.(*weighty tea) because "tea" collocates typically with "heavy". This falls from the syntagmatic relation between lexemes in the vocabulary.

for more info pl
... See more
Hello

thanks for trying to help me, and sorry for not replaying instantly, i was sick.

collocation is the company that a word typically keep with other words, mostly an adjective and a noun, e.g. "heavy tea", we cannot substitute heavy for a synonym, e.g.(*weighty tea) because "tea" collocates typically with "heavy". This falls from the syntagmatic relation between lexemes in the vocabulary.

for more info please check:

http://elc.polyu.edu.hk/advdicts/collocation.htm

if you check any dictionary of linguistic terms you'll find it. i actually dont have serious interests now, but when i decide on something, i will let you know, thanks you very much for your help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About bilingual dictionaries of collocations & idioms .

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »