De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 06:14
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
Feb 20, 2006

I have been sent a text with all the target segments filled in with the source text (pre-translated?). The problem is I cannot now translate to fuzzy, using the translated text which I know is in the Translation Memory, without having to manually "insert translation" for each segment then click to get the next segment. It is a very long document and so very time consuming, not to mention RPI-prone! Isnt there an easier way? i.e is it possible to clear all the source text fom the target segment... See more
I have been sent a text with all the target segments filled in with the source text (pre-translated?). The problem is I cannot now translate to fuzzy, using the translated text which I know is in the Translation Memory, without having to manually "insert translation" for each segment then click to get the next segment. It is a very long document and so very time consuming, not to mention RPI-prone! Isnt there an easier way? i.e is it possible to clear all the source text fom the target segments so that they are empty and can be translated to fuzzy automatically?

Fiona
Collapse

Stavroula Giannopoulou
Stavroula Giannopoulou  Identity Verified
Griekenland
Local time: 08:14
Engels naar Grieks
+ ...
Why don't you clean up the document? Feb 20, 2006

Fiona Robson wrote:

I have been sent a text with all the target segments filled in with the source text (pre-translated?). The problem is I cannot now translate to fuzzy, using the translated text which I know is in the Translation Memory, without having to manually "insert translation" for each segment then click to get the next segment. It is a very long document and so very time consuming, not to mention RPI-prone! Isnt there an easier way? i.e is it possible to clear all the source text fom the target segments so that they are empty and can be translated to fuzzy automatically?

Fiona

You can create a new memory (this is important) and clean up the document. Then you will have only the target segments (which are identical to the source, anyway) and you can delete this new memory.
Be careful, not to do that in your existing TM because you might replace your target segments with the source segments again.
I hope my explanation is clear

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
translating to fuzzy Feb 20, 2006

The problem is, some of the segments have the portuguese text copied into them and some now have the translation in them (which I have done manually). Also, I need to return the document in uncleaned format - wouldn't doing what you suggest clear away the orginal source text?

Fiona

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
Lid 2003
Duits naar Frans
Clean with macro Feb 20, 2006

Hi,

You don't need to create a new TM to clean your doc.

All you have to do is to manually clean it with the macro tw4winclean.Main (press Alt + F8 to display the list of available macros). When the macro has run successfully (it takes a few seconds), you will have a new document and can then translate to fuzzy.
Just be sure that there are no segments which were partly translated during the pretranslation your client made...

HTH,
Sylvain
<
... See more
Hi,

You don't need to create a new TM to clean your doc.

All you have to do is to manually clean it with the macro tw4winclean.Main (press Alt + F8 to display the list of available macros). When the macro has run successfully (it takes a few seconds), you will have a new document and can then translate to fuzzy.
Just be sure that there are no segments which were partly translated during the pretranslation your client made...

HTH,
Sylvain

PS I just see your 2nd posting. What do you mean with "which I have done manually" ? If these segments are stored in your TM, there is no problem. If you have just entered them manually without opening the relevant segments in the Workbench, then they will be lost.
As for the uncleaned version, no problem neither: you translate your brand new file as usual and return the uncleaned version.

[Edited at 2006-02-20 16:14]
Collapse

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER

When you say to make sure there are no segments partially translated - there are of course some segments which were translated during the pre-translation (presumably this was the reason why the client did the pre-translation). These cannot be altered. Would they be lost using your method?

Fiona

Sylvain Leray
Lid 2003
Duits naar Frans
Yes Feb 20, 2006

Fiona Robson wrote:

Would they be lost using your method?

Fiona

Unfortunately yes... and I don't know any workaround.
The only solution is to ask your client to send you a clean file (without pre-translation) and a TM.
But let's wait if someone comes up with a solution (Jerzy ? Ralf ?)
One of my clients use to send me pretranslated files too, and after many complaints from me, they are beginning to understand and the project I'm currently working on is a normal file with TM

Sylvain

Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Duits naar Tsjechisch
+ ...
Changing Setting in the TM Options Feb 20, 2006

Hello,

I had had the same problem which I have solved in that I changed the settings of the translation memory.
Open workbench, then options and translation memory options.
In the lower part of the window you can set the options for updating attribute and text fields for used and changed translated units. Here I changed the settings for merge in both cases and it helped.
You can create a new TM with these settings and try to translate a few typical lines of your
... See more
Hello,

I had had the same problem which I have solved in that I changed the settings of the translation memory.
Open workbench, then options and translation memory options.
In the lower part of the window you can set the options for updating attribute and text fields for used and changed translated units. Here I changed the settings for merge in both cases and it helped.
You can create a new TM with these settings and try to translate a few typical lines of your document here first.

Kind regards

Martina Ley
Collapse

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Translating to fuzzy Feb 20, 2006

Does anybody know, at least, of a shortcut key for "get translation" , and another for "translate to fuzzy" which can be done using one hand! That would help a bit.

Fiona

Sylvain Leray
Lid 2003
Duits naar Frans
Shortcuts Feb 20, 2006

Fiona Robson wrote:

Does anybody know, at least, of a shortcut key for "get translation" , and another for "translate to fuzzy" which can be done using one hand! That would help a bit.

Fiona

"Alt" + "Maj" + "Insert" for Get translation
"Alt" + "+" (numeric pad) for Close/Save/Open next
"Alt" + "*" (numeric pad) for Translate to fuzzy.

HTH

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. In the end I did the segments one by one (whew) but I will take your comments on board for a future occassion. (or tell my clients no to pre-translate, as was suggested). By the way, the last comment (alt + for translate to fuzzy) - can this really be done using one hand? Perhaps if one has an alt key on the right of their keyboard, which mine doesn't.

Fiona

Sylvain Leray
Lid 2003
Duits naar Frans
No :-) Feb 20, 2006

Fiona Robson wrote:

By the way, the last comment (alt + * for translate to fuzzy) - can this really be done using one hand?
Fiona

Unless you've got huge hands, no
But very handy though since you don't have to grab you mouse!

Sylvain

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Duits
+ ...
Alternative to Translate to Next Fuzzy Feb 21, 2006

You could also use Ctrl+Alt+S to Set & Open Next Fuzzy. This will skip the pretranslated 100 % matches entirely and should be even faster. Plus, you could use one hand only for it.

I only discovered this feature very recently and have used it only once, but it worked just the way it should.

HTH,
B

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Translating to fuzzy Feb 21, 2006

Sylvain

Control+alt+S you say? I tried that but it just creates a "split window" line.

Fiona

Sylvain Leray
Lid 2003
Duits naar Frans
Ctrl + Alt + S Feb 21, 2006

Fiona Robson wrote:

Sylvain

Control+alt+S you say? I tried that but it just creates a "split window" line.

Fiona

It's not me, it's Benjamin
But I have used this shortcut too and it works indeed.. I just tried again on my current doc without any problem...

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Duits
+ ...
Localization Feb 21, 2006

This may be a localization issue that causes my German Word and Sylvain's French Word to perform this Trados function when we use that shortcut and you are probably using an English or Brazilian version of Word where the keyboard shortcut is reserved for the "Split Window" command. Not very clever of SDL/Trados.

A colleague of ours recently had a similar problem, so I've called his attention to this thread. Maybe he can come up with a suggestion.

Regards,
Sylvain,
... See more
This may be a localization issue that causes my German Word and Sylvain's French Word to perform this Trados function when we use that shortcut and you are probably using an English or Brazilian version of Word where the keyboard shortcut is reserved for the "Split Window" command. Not very clever of SDL/Trados.

A colleague of ours recently had a similar problem, so I've called his attention to this thread. Maybe he can come up with a suggestion.

Regards,
Sylvain, uh, Benjamin
Collapse

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate to fuzzy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »