Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2005

Hi all,

I am currently working on my glossary building, arduously inputing words and phrases and their translations into an excel sheet manually. Is there a software out there that builds glossaries for you as you are translating, an to which you can upload glossaries. Does MultiTerm work like that? I'm looking for suggestions about glossary building rather than TMs which I already use with trados.
Regards,
Huw Watkins

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Worfast Dec 16, 2005

Wordfast CAT includes glossary features and you can upload your Excel glossaries

Is is not as expensive as other CAT tools.

The only problem is capacity, if you put more than about 150 terms it will give problems/bugs. But, you can use for example 3 dictionaries of 150 words each at the same time, which is what I do. This is normally enough for my clients.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 06:08
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Heartsome? Dec 16, 2005

You can try to have a look at

http://www.heartsome.net

They give you a one-month trial of the full version, so you can test if it works as you expect. Their Dictionary Editor does offer "automatic term extraction"

HTH

Antonin

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
More about MultiTerm Dec 16, 2005

Huw Watkins wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a software out there that builds glossaries for you as you are translating, an to which you can upload glossaries. Does MultiTerm work like that?

Hi Huw,

If you want to build the framework of your glossary by analysing texts in advance, you'll need a tool like the fairly expensive MultiTerm Extract, the more limited DVX lexicon feature, which is bundled with the CAT tool, or perhaps the "automatic term extraction" feature of Heartsome (which I don't know) that Antonín mentions.

However, I am finding MultiTerm 7.0.2.327, the latest version of the tool, to be very helpful indeed. Once you have set up your glossary, you can add terms on the fly while you are translating and include the context segments, something I had been wishing MultiTerm would do for ages. You can also throw in all the bells and whistles you like, including images, video, sounds and so on, although I must admit I have never felt the need to do so.

Importing Excel glossaries is straightforward with the MultiTerm wizard. In practice, though, I keep my main (wine) glossary as an Excel spreadsheet and transform all or part of it into MultiTerm glossaries, Word tables or my own web-based glossary (www.watson.it) as necessary. Currently, there are more than 3,000 term pairs, so WordFast would be inadequate.

FWIW

Giles

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 17, 2005

Can you export glossaries from MultiTerm to excel for eg?

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:08
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, you can export your definitions to Excel Dec 17, 2005

Hi,

Yes, you can, for ex. using the "HTML export". An *.xml file is created and you opt to open it with MS Excel.

Giuliana

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Has anybody been successful exporting your own termbase fields into excel? Jun 15, 2006

I can only get the Multiterm html export to export the source and target fields - not fields defined by myself. If I create a customised export I get a lot of field labels - or none at all if I deselect them. So far I have failed producing anything that goes neatlly into excel with each field in the right column. Does anybody have a recipe for this?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm overview / glossary building

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »