Why don't return packages contain new project terms?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 29, 2022

I realise that this question is about a design decision but nevertheless it strikes me that there obviously is no way to embed the new project-related terms that you have added in your current project, into the return package that you send to your client.

Transit (and other CAT tools, like CafeTran Espresso) have an elegant way to send new term pairs to your client. When you create a return package, you'll see this dialogue box:

Inside the return package the new terminology is stored in the (rarely used) generic terminology file format MARTIF:

But how are Trados users supposed to send new project-related terminology to their clients?

[Edited at 2022-05-29 07:21 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:36
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
convert .sdltb to client-friendly format with GlossaryConverter? May 29, 2022

One way, not built in like with Transit of course, would be to quickly convert your project Termbase using Glossary Converter (https://appstore.rws.com/language/app/glossary-converter/195/ ).

GlossaryConverter

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... May 29, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

One way, not built in like with Transit of course, would be to quickly convert your project Termbase using Glossary Converter

Thanks Michael, but my question was actually: why did the design team of Trados decide that there was no need to allow translators to send new terms via the return packages.

I find this a strange design decision.

[Edited at 2022-05-29 07:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why don't return packages contain new project terms?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »