How to translate subtitle templates faster in client platforms?
Thread poster: Artur Nunes
Artur Nunes
Artur Nunes
Portugal
Local time: 04:37
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 5, 2021

Hey all,

I work for several clients that have their own platform for subtitling, meaning that I translate directly from an English timed template, I don't have to do any time coding.

With that being said, is there anyone who has found a faster way to translate than just writting everything by yourselves?

My idea was to use machine translation to help out and then revise the work. This would save me a lot of time but I can't download any srt files to use in
... See more
Hey all,

I work for several clients that have their own platform for subtitling, meaning that I translate directly from an English timed template, I don't have to do any time coding.

With that being said, is there anyone who has found a faster way to translate than just writting everything by yourselves?

My idea was to use machine translation to help out and then revise the work. This would save me a lot of time but I can't download any srt files to use in other software...

Any ideas out there?

Thank you in advance|
Collapse

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:37
English to French
+ ...
You don't translate faster Jun 5, 2021

You translate better. Subtitling agencies already have the nasty habit to force translators to translate faster and faster, which noticably impact quality.
If you seek to translate faster, you'll only give them bad ideas, something like "Hey, if this guy can translate with such speed, maybe we should push this as the new standard."
Also, and sorry to be harsh (but not too sorry), if "use machine translation to help out and then revise the work" is your idea of translation... do somet
... See more
You translate better. Subtitling agencies already have the nasty habit to force translators to translate faster and faster, which noticably impact quality.
If you seek to translate faster, you'll only give them bad ideas, something like "Hey, if this guy can translate with such speed, maybe we should push this as the new standard."
Also, and sorry to be harsh (but not too sorry), if "use machine translation to help out and then revise the work" is your idea of translation... do something else. But if you really like translation and subtitling, make a stand and ask for more time. I know this (and proposing better rates) is the quickest way to lose clients in this industry, but it's important to not play their game.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Thayenga
Sylvano

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:37
English to Russian
You can try Qtranslate Jun 5, 2021

This app allows you to select a text, then press a shortcut and get the selected text translated.
To use this app, you need just select an MT engine and language pair, select your shortcut keys for 'Replace selected text' (you can remove all other shortcuts to avoid conflicts with other tools), uncheck the 'Click on system tray icon switches mouse mode' option in Options/Advanc
... See more
This app allows you to select a text, then press a shortcut and get the selected text translated.
To use this app, you need just select an MT engine and language pair, select your shortcut keys for 'Replace selected text' (you can remove all other shortcuts to avoid conflicts with other tools), uncheck the 'Click on system tray icon switches mouse mode' option in Options/Advanced, and that's it.
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:37
Member (2016)
English to German
Dictation Jun 5, 2021

Artur Nunes wrote:

is there anyone who has found a faster way to translate than just writting everything by yourselves?

For me, dictation (I'm on a Mac, where it is actually called Dictation) in combination with shortcut mastery is usually faster than checking/fixing MT output when I am translating subtitles.

[Edited at 2021-06-06 04:08 GMT]

Artur Nunes
Artur Nunes
Portugal
Local time: 04:37
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your suggestions Jun 6, 2021

Jocelin Meunier wrote:

Also, and sorry to be harsh (but not too sorry), if "use machine translation to help out and then revise the work" is your idea of translation... do something else. But if you really like translation and subtitling, make a stand and ask for more time. I know this (and proposing better rates) is the quickest way to lose clients in this industry, but it's important to not play their game.

I completely understand your point and I actually enjoy a lot translating everything from scratch, I'm not the biggest fan of MT, but when deadlines are tight and there is no room for extensions, this is where I find that I could use something to speed up the process.

Stepan Konev wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll definitely look into it!

Jan Truper wrote:

For me, dictation (I'm on a Mac, where it is actually called Dictation) in combination with shortcut mastery is usually faster than checking/fixing MT output when I am translating subtitles.

Thank you for your input, I had considered dictation before but I was a bit on the fence about it, maybe I'll give it a go!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate subtitle templates faster in client platforms?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »