Thread poster: Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:51
Member (2007)
English to German
Oct 1, 2009

Hi, suddenly I have to allow Javascript from googleapis.com to use some KudoZ functionalities (with Firefox 3.5.3, Windows Vista). What happened? Is there some way around it?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
When and where are you asked to allow Javascript from googleapis.com? Oct 1, 2009

Hello Dr. Matthias,

Could you please specify the KudoZ functionalities or actions that ask you to allow Javascript from googleapis.com? A link to the specific KudoZ page(s) in which this happens would also be of help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucia

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Example Oct 1, 2009

Hi Lucia,

Here http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/medical:_health_care/3478012-band_air.html the buttons "Vote non-PRO", "Post discussion entry" and "Show discussion" only work when I set the NoScript Add-on to allow scripts from googleapis.com. (Nothing happens when I click on them.) "Answer" and "Post reference" work fine.
... See more
Hi Lucia,

Here http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_german/medical:_health_care/3478012-band_air.html the buttons "Vote non-PRO", "Post discussion entry" and "Show discussion" only work when I set the NoScript Add-on to allow scripts from googleapis.com. (Nothing happens when I click on them.) "Answer" and "Post reference" work fine.

Best,
Matthias

[Edited at 2009-10-01 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Passed to internal development Oct 1, 2009

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for providing the information requested. Let me refer this to internal development to have it checked.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:51
French to English
+ ...
Hosting of javascript library provided by Google Oct 1, 2009

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for posting.

The script you are referring to is an open-source library of javascript functions that we have been using for a while. Fairly recently we started hosting the file at Google to save on bandwidth and speed up the site.

Best,
Colin

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 1, 2009

Thank you, Lucia and Colin, for your super-swift replies.

[OT]: Do you appreciate a "Thank You" in the forum, or would you rather not see a topic brought up again only to read a Thank-you note?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
"Thank you's" are always appreciated, Matthias. Oct 1, 2009

And so is any other feedback!

Regards,

Lucia

Daniel Todorovski
Daniel Todorovski
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
This is a breach of privacy May 2, 2010

Think about it. Why would Google host/give you code for free? It's for tracking purposes. You're giving up your independence. Or maybe you (the staff) know about this, which makes it even worse?

Example

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Google: "The API is not a devious plot to track users." May 3, 2010

Hi Daniel,

I understand your concern, however I do not believe Google is hosting these libraries for tracking purposes. I can, however, make a change that will force the inclusion of the javascript libraries from our servers just for your account.

Here is some more information from Google on the subject:

- Why does Google host these libraries?
The AJAX Libraries API came about because our team sat down and brainstormed how we could solve existing problems on the web that can only be solved by large companies such as Google — one of those problems is that the same bits from a few popular libraries are being grabbed millions and millions of times a day and it’s unnecessary. Google is uniquely positioned to serve large amounts of traffic from around the world at the fastest speeds so we decided that creating this API could help other sites as well as our own.

- Is Google using the referrer/IP for tracking users?
No. The API is not a devious plot to track users. Our intention was to help speed up the web and help with some of the chaos that we see in the wild. There are still plenty of sites that are not setting correct cache headers to minimize latency and don’t have the global deployment to ensure that users visiting from Europe see the same low latencies as those on the west coast of the US.

With that said, we do have logs of referrers, IPs, and user-agents. There is no user tracking, and these logs are subject to our 9 month anonymization policy (details at http://www.google.com/privacy.html). Our team uses these logs to understand the performance, adoption, and status of the system. These signals are used by us mainly for capacity planning purposes. Since we launched the API last year, we have expanded some of our operations and grown our capacity. The signals we get from these logs are directly responsible for our ability to meet the needs of the community and help ensure global, low latency access to the system.

- Does Google insert code into the libraries? Will they?
Absolutely not. We refuse to make any changes, trivial or not, to any of the libraries we host. You can verify this by downloading the libraries from us and the maintainers and do an MD5 checksum on them.
http://www.prototypejs.org/assets/2008/1/25/prototype-1.6.0.2.js
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/prototype/1.6.0.2/prototype.js

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:51
French to English
+ ...
No huuuuge privacy issue I don't think May 4, 2010

Daniel Todorovski wrote:
Think about it. Why would Google host/give you code for free?

Because Google is an atypical company. If you're running a corner shop, then you have to worry about things like percentage margins on your Granny Smiths and return on investment on your bulletproof windows. But Google is a bit different. They run many projects simply to increase people's perception of the "Google brand" generally, even if that particular project doesn't actually make a direct profit (or even if it makes a loss).

Daniel Todorovski wrote:
It's for tracking purposes. You're giving up your independence. Or maybe you (the staff) know about this, which makes it even worse?
Example

Remember that advertising programmes need to use "tracking" because that's an integral part of what they do. In order to estimate that you are interested in French cheese, they *need* to make note of the fact that your machine has visited a French cheese site with their advertising programme on it.

Yes, using a library hosted by Google from another site inevitably leaks a tiny bit of information. You have to weigh up the pros (faster web site, reduced bandwidth costs possibly passed on to paying customers) with the cons (Google employees and the FBI, if they're really really really really bored one day, could find out from Google that you have visited ProZ, rather than just "asking" ProZ for that information...)

Daniel Todorovski
Daniel Todorovski
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
I'm not comfortable with depending on good will of one corporation May 4, 2010

Neil,

I hate to sound like a tin foil hat man, but I'm not convinced by their privacy policy when I know what the main business of that company is. Today our privacy is taken away from us at an alarming rate, bit by bit, even in places that aren't necessary and could be easily avoided.

I have enough technical knowledge to be aware that whatever their privacy policy says, there are always ways to circumvent it (data mining - crossreference it with other bits they know ab
... See more
Neil,

I hate to sound like a tin foil hat man, but I'm not convinced by their privacy policy when I know what the main business of that company is. Today our privacy is taken away from us at an alarming rate, bit by bit, even in places that aren't necessary and could be easily avoided.

I have enough technical knowledge to be aware that whatever their privacy policy says, there are always ways to circumvent it (data mining - crossreference it with other bits they know about you - geolocation, wireless network scanning, to mention just a few).

Colin,

Please do (I have it blocked and I don't intend to unblock it; some important site functionality depends on it - KudoZ buttons).

Thanks
Collapse

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Is everything working now? May 12, 2010

Hi Daniel,

Everyone should be getting Jquery from ProZ.com now.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 05:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
One for all ... and all for one...? May 14, 2010

Colin wrote:
... I can, however, make a change that will force the inclusion of the javascript libraries from our servers just for your account.

A little while later,
Colin wrote:
Everyone should be getting Jquery from ProZ.com now.

So, just because one self-proclaimed
Daniel Todorovski wrote:
tin foil hat man

gets the Google jitters we all have to accept impaired QoS?

Hmmm...

MediaMatrix

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Someone beat me to the punch... May 14, 2010

It looks like another developer made the change, stating performance as the reason to switch back to hosting the file on ProZ.com.

Best,
Colin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Script from googleapis.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »