expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:37
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It is my impression Dec 21, 2023

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I'm a professional translator. I expect professional services. I'll pay for what I consider professional.
Let Proz.com make me an offer.

I'm not quite sure if I understood you...
You are using consistently "I" in your communication and directing your request mainly to the forum staff than to your colleagues. For me, this suggests you are making an individual request for that lower membership fee.
If someone has a specific and individualized request for a lower membership fee, it's often more appropriate to discuss such matters privately with the service provider or the relevant team.
In my opinion, public discussions may not be the most suitable way for "negotiating" individual subscription terms.
Yes, you are a professional translator like many others here and you're no different or better than anyone else.
You can find other platforms with different or no membership structures at all (like, networking, for example, on LinkedIn) or fee plans that better suit your preferences.
As some have said here, I don't know if this can be possible.

Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Robert Rietvelt
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:37
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This was simply an inquiry, suggestion and request for feedback Dec 21, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

If you're interested in the services of this website, then pay for it. If you're not, then don't. I agree with Christopher above that 120 dollars a year is not expensive at all.

I'm interested in paying for the service I described above. And I still decide what I am going to pay for and what not. This was a simple inquiry and suggestion. If it isn't something ProZ.com can offer, that's ok. No big deal.

Lieven Malaise wrote:

And if you really think it's a good idea to try to change Proz's business model through a forum, then I would suggest you change your tone of voice, which is rather arrogant. If a potential client would talk to me like this, our conversation would be over after 2 messages.

What tone of voice? I have only stated my case and explained my thinking and thanked all contributors for their input.

[Edited at 2023-12-22 00:50 GMT]

Kaspars Melkis

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:37
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand why you would say that Dec 21, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I don't see it going to happen. Technically impossible. Sorry, but on what base should they give you a discount? On your 'ruby blue eyes'? What about people with another colour eyes? (figuratively speaking of course)

Figuratively speaking?
This isn't appropriate at all, figuratively or literally.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
@jared Dec 30, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hello Bernhard,

For those interested in new work, showing up in the first layer of the directories and that greater visibility to potential new clients is the main thing within paying membership, leaving aside for the moment things like the Blue Board and all the rest. Is that worth 120 a year (in the case of the Standard membership)? I think so, and then some. If you get just one new client out of it, with all that entails, it's going to lead to more than 120 USD in work.

ProZ.com membership has always been what we call a "self-serve" model: there are a bunch of services included, and each person gets to use what they want, when they want, and how they want. This is what allows the site to provide as many services as it does, and at the continually low pricing that it has maintained. And it also avoids complex pricing schemes and packaging that would come from offering a separate membership package for the directories, for posted jobs, for the Blue Board, for Invoicing, and so on and so forth. For the people who benefit from those services, they are worth 10 bucks a month, and they are not limited to just one service if they don't want to be.

This self-serve model has changed a bit recently, with the new premium monthly option, which includes everything in the Plus package and also website/hosting and AI, with one-on-one help and consultation from the ProZ.com team, and costs 25 a month. https://go.proz.com/premium

Discounts on the first year of membership are occasionally offered, as an added incentive for those who are not yet members and are on the fence. This is the case now for the Standard and Plus packages, until the end of December. https://www.proz.com/professional-membership

By the way, even though a member may not be interested in the posted jobs in general, the occasional interesting job post does come along and one can just quote on it (and receive greater visibility within the quoting system to the job poster), rather than paying 1 USD each time that happens.

All fine Jared, and this is the reason why I am happy to pay (indeed I started paying 20 years ago)
But please resolve the bugs, we keep on receiving alerts for jobs closed in November, for example today https://www.proz.com/job/2055982 Happy 2024.

Michele Fauble
Zea_Mays

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:37
French to English
+ ...
It's not the fee amount as such Dec 30, 2023

$120 isn't a huge amount, but the problem is with the attitude, not the amount. ProZ used to be more accommodating and used to reward active members for providing high-quality content (e.g. KudoZ). Over the years, ProZ grew much bigger, its members became less professional on average, but instead of championing the linguistic professionalism and cherishing its most serious and experienced members, ProZ went for increasing its profits and alienating those who helped its early growth. This is exac... See more
$120 isn't a huge amount, but the problem is with the attitude, not the amount. ProZ used to be more accommodating and used to reward active members for providing high-quality content (e.g. KudoZ). Over the years, ProZ grew much bigger, its members became less professional on average, but instead of championing the linguistic professionalism and cherishing its most serious and experienced members, ProZ went for increasing its profits and alienating those who helped its early growth. This is exactly what Cory Doctorow calls enshittification.Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christopher Schröder
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Zea_Mays
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Restaurants Dec 31, 2023

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
I'm a professional translator. I expect professional services. I'll pay for what I consider professional.
Let Proz.com make me an offer.

What makes you so special that they would do that?

It's only $120 a year. One job and it's paid off.

I'm not more special, but I'm not paying for something I don't use or that doesn't produce any results for me.
I actually paid for quite a few years. And as writeaway mentions, there used to be several levels of paid membership.

Also, it's our profiles that Proz.com offers to prospective clients. We then have to convince the prospective client to actually use our services. But without the information we provide in our profiles, Proz.com wouldn't exist and couldn't charge for the services. And this isn't the only expense I consider for marketing my services. I already pay fees to put myself out there. What I'm looking for is something that does something for me on a continuous basis, which is to simply come up in the search by prospective clients within the pool of all paid members.
Make me a reasonable offer.

[Edited at 2023-12-19 17:43 GMT]

In Mexican food restaurants you won't find lasagna or pizza, but a wide range of dishes, yes, wider than just "burritos". You can eat 1 or 2 or 3 pozoles, or enchiladas, as much as you can. If you want paella, visit a Spanish restaurant.

It's the same with translation sites. They'll ofer what they prepare and you'll decide to buy or not.

[Edited at 2023-12-31 00:19 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for lower membership fee without access to job board

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »