Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 22, 2023

Hello

I believe the Community Rates page reflects the average rates of all users, even users who haven't logged in for many years. This would mean that even if modern translators charge higher rates, the Community Rates page would show a lower average. So, I suggest that the page takes into account only the rates of users who have logged in at least five times in the past 5 years.

Samuel

Renée van Bijsterveld
Serena Balasi
John Fossey
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Christine Andersen
Zea_Mays
texjax DDS PhD

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
One login in the last five years Nov 22, 2023

I am all for trying to get a more recent picture of the community rates (and this could be a chance to revisit the problem that the field-of-expertise filter is still offered on the Community Rates page even though it does not filter at all). But I usually stay logged in here for hundreds of days (I have logged in 21 times in the last 15 years), and maybe it is not just me, so I would suggest to only require one login in the last five years to indicate that the user is active.

Matth
... See more
I am all for trying to get a more recent picture of the community rates (and this could be a chance to revisit the problem that the field-of-expertise filter is still offered on the Community Rates page even though it does not filter at all). But I usually stay logged in here for hundreds of days (I have logged in 21 times in the last 15 years), and maybe it is not just me, so I would suggest to only require one login in the last five years to indicate that the user is active.

Matthias

[Edited at 2023-11-22 16:19 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Logging in once a year is not unreasonable Nov 22, 2023

I remain logged in most of the time, but I log in and out when I use my laptop, which means when I am away from home, so that is at least once a year. It is quite reasonable to require some sign of life IMHO.

Could the system send a reminder, in the same way as it sends a reminder when a profile has not been updated for six months? (Updating your availability calendar is not enough!)

I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recalculate community rates using logged-in users only

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »