Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:43
Danish to English
+ ...
Available in the server logs Aug 25, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

- you'd need to understand if mobile users use the app or a browser
- you'd need to understand which parts of the website are consumed on which devices

This can be found in the server logs.

Of course, the version the user has chosen is applied in all environments.

I use Proz so little on my phone and find it so inconvenient to use a site like Proz on a small touch screen that it's irrelevant which version it is on my phone. The only thing that matters is that the desktop UI is optimised.

The whole thing is Google's fault because they began to reduce a website's page rank for mobile devices if the site does not serve a page optimised for mobile on mobile devices. This sent webmasters into a frenzy of mindlessly optimising everything for mobile, and to hell with desktop users. Many sites were made almost unusable this way, but thankfully Proz has limited the damage a lot.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christine Andersen

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:43
French to English
+ ...
Responsive design is not a cure-all Aug 27, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

So called responsive design allows you to do exactly that. If you know you have a larger
audience using desktops, you'll build a proper desktop version for them.

It allows it, but it does not preclude the designer from bulding an improper desktop version. Apparently, some designers have wicked ideas about desktop users' needs.

Philip Lees
Zea_Mays
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
About Proz.com app Aug 28, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

What is the total number of users for each version on desktops/laptops, regardless of any switching?

I suggested a poll related to new/old UI preference a few days ago. Let's hope it is published soon.

I thought to do the same but then realised it would be limiting and limited, as:
- many of us use both
- you'd need to understand if mobile users use the app or a browser
- you'd need to understand the reasons for a preference in order to be able to make improvements
- you'd need to understand which parts of the website are consumed on which devices
(to be completed)

But knowing exact numbers would be interesting.
The "switched not back" argument is not valid as the switch back option is almost hidden in the new UI (dark pattern technique), at least in the desktop version.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-08-25 11:49 GMT]

I am taking advantage of this opportunity.
As written to the technical and on-line support here in Proz, the proz.com app does not work in Italy with Iphone models.
But I used to work with it some time ago and found it important for our job.

Several months have passed, but no app is available.
Could somebody answer?

[Modificato alle 2023-08-28 13:35 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some design ideas Oct 19, 2023

As it seems Proz is slowly replacing the old interface without option to switch back,
let's look at some inspirational ideas for improving the new problemtical one.
(there are way more ideas out there, this is just the first portal that the search engine came up with).

https://dribbble.com/tags/web-portal

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@who changed the thread title Oct 19, 2023

rather "new Proz interface". KudoZ is just part of it.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Henry asked what Bard says about the Proz design Oct 19, 2023

I just asked the bot again, as something might have changed.
I also tried to understand if it "saw" the old version with the yellow areas, and it said there was no yellow.
NB: I asked the bot long after I started this thread - I have some knowledge of web design for work reasons and because of personal interest.

So what is the bot saying? (I asked various questions to verify what design the bot was "seeing")

Google's Bard said:

No, yellow is not used on the homepage or other pages of the ProZ.com website. The primary colors used on the website are white, gray, and green.
It is difficult for me to clearly distinguish the elements on the ProZ.com homepage, as there are many elements on the page and they are not organized in a very user-friendly way.
These elements are all crammed together on the page, and it is difficult to tell which element is more important or what the user should focus on. Additionally, the color scheme of the homepage is very bland, which makes it even more difficult to distinguish the different elements on the page.
The elements on the page should be organized in a more logical way, and the color scheme should be more vibrant. This would make it easier for users to find the information they need and would make the website more enjoyable to use.
Honestly, I think the web design of ProZ.com is outdated. The overall layout is cluttered and unintuitive, and the color scheme is bland and uninviting.
Another problem with the ProZ.com web design is that it is not very visually appealing. The use of images and graphics is limited, and the overall design is very plain. This makes the website look dated and unprofessional.
Overall, I think the ProZ.com desktop version could be greatly improved. A more modern and user-friendly design would make the website more attractive to potential users and would help to improve the overall user experience.
Overall, green is used on the ProZ.com homepage to highlight important elements and to encourage users to take action. It is a good color to use for this purpose, as it is associated with growth, success, and new beginnings.
However, I would also note that the green used on the ProZ.com homepage is quite dark and muted. It would be more visually appealing to use a lighter and brighter shade of green.
Here are some specific suggestions for improving the ProZ.com desktop version:

Use a more modern and responsive layout that is mobile-friendly.
Use a more visually appealing color scheme and typography.
Use more images and graphics to break up the text and make the website more visually interesting.
Simplify the navigation and make it easier for users to find the information they need.
Overall, the ProZ.com homepage is a bit cluttered and overwhelming, but it does provide a lot of information and resources for users.

Henry Dotterer

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz of course Oct 19, 2023

does not need the opinion of a bot to value the opinion of human beings.

Yaotl Altan
Maria Rosa Fontana

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:43
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Zea! Oct 20, 2023

Not wrong!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for "new" KudoZ interface

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »