P.L.F. Persio
Arabic & More
Philip Lees

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you. Suggestion? Mar 6, 2023

Thanks for the feedback, Tom.

Since this is a suggestions forum, would you (or anyone else) like to propose an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Loving Chat GPT, Samuel. Thanks for sharing! And in fact, its suggestions are not bad.

Lucia

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You can ask more questions than non-members. Cuz you pay. Mar 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

This is incomprehensible.

Screenshot

Found at https://www.proz.com/ask?kver=new

Incomprehensible

Arabic & More

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Non-[paying]-member message Mar 6, 2023

The message for non-members is even worse.

ProZ.com members can ask three times the KudoZ questions as you (learn more.) See other membership benefits.

Jennifer Levey
Arabic & More

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
My understanding is.... Mar 6, 2023

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Tom.

Since this is a suggestions forum, would you (or anyone else) like to propose an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Loving Chat GPT, Samuel. Thanks for sharing! And in fact, its suggestions are not bad.

Lucia

EITHER

I am only allowed to ask three questions.

OR

I can ask three times as many questions as non-members (how would that be calculated? And what if non-members don't ask any questions?)

SUGGESTION

Members can ask an unlimited number of Kudoz questions. Non-members are restricted to three questions.

But is that even correct?

Jorge Payan

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2023

[Edited at 2023-03-07 19:42 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:38
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Surely more than three! Mar 7, 2023

One of the regular non-member askers in English to Spanish has posted four batches of 4/5 questions over five days since March 2

[Edited at 2023-03-07 00:44 GMT]

Tom in London

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Explanation in the FAQ Mar 7, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

SUGGESTION

Members can ask an unlimited number of Kudoz questions. Non-members are restricted to three questions.

But is that even correct?

Not correct, Tom.
Here is the answer:
https://www.proz.com/faq/2812#2812

"2.3 - Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask?

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15). There are also weekly limits of 20 questions for registered non-members and 60 questions for members. If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking."

writeaway

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Also... Mar 7, 2023

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15).

ProZ.com uses the term "visitor" for a person who is not registered, "user" for a non-paying member (i.e. a person who is registered but doesn't pay), and "member" for a paying member. This can be confusing when the site explains something about "members" and the reader is unaware of this special way that ProZ.com uses the word "member".

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Even harder to comprehene Mar 7, 2023

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Not correct, Tom.
Here is the answer:
https://www.proz.com/faq/2812#2812

"2.3 - Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask?

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15). There are also weekly limits of 20 questions for registered non-members and 60 questions for members. If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking."

1. What is a "sliding 24-hr period"?
2. "registered but not member" is not correct English.
3. "If you are member" is not correct English.
4. If you are "member", you can ask fifteen (15) questions (presumably per day); but if I ask my 15 questions per day for a week, that's 105 questions - yet the weekly limit is 60. I cannot understand that.
5."If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week....". How can I be open for a week? I'm open all the time.
6. "Please grade and close these questions to continue asking" - asking what? I suggest this should be rewritten as something like "If you want to ask further questions, you must first grade and close your open questions"

In general, that explanation referred to by Katalin seems very labyrinthine and difficult to understand even for me, a native English speaker. If I understood it and if I had the time, I would volunteer ro rewrite it.

[Edited at 2023-03-07 12:02 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Time Mar 7, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
If I understood it and if I had the time, I would volunteer ro rewrite it.

You’ve found time to pick unnecessary holes in a text whose meaning is crystal clear to everyone else🤷‍♂️

Philip Lees

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Open all the time Mar 7, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
5."If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week....". How can I be open for a week? I'm open all the time.

I'm reminded of that quip about the difference between having an open mind and having a hole in the head.

Christopher Schröder
Joe France
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing. No difference. Mar 7, 2023

Nothing at all. The effect is the same. Let's stay on-topic. No quips. The confusing guidance about Kudoz is quite important, especially for non-native English users.

[Edited at 2023-03-07 12:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Member-only message on KudoZ question form

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »